VivisQueen's avatar

• United Kingdom
  • Joined Jan 19, 2006

Witch Hunter Robin

Mar 5, 2011

Having amassed all the necessary ingredients to make a grim, action-packed supernatural thriller, Witch Hunter Robin promptly drowns them in a shallow puddle of Not Much Happens. Rarely have I witnessed such pompous grey tone or such funereal voicing or so many shots of people staring mournfully at what must be the most fascinating middle-distance ever. Any spasms of action quickly default to some nondescript bad guy telekinetically hurling flower pots or dust bins and the protagonist Robin incinerating them in a puff of digitalised fire. But that’s not the worst of its sins - no, that would be the fact that Robin and her secret organisation buddies are of no use to anyone in need of entertaining. So insufferably bland and middling are they that their long periods of pedestrian dialogue mostly drove me to do something else.

Witch Hunter Robin is probably aiming for something akin to Buffy the Vampire Slayer but it lacks a sense of humour to help the viewer laugh off its daftness (and these days the notion of witches - along with vampires, werewolves, zombies - and their respective hunters is daft). Kudos to Hideyuki Daichi Suzuki for composing a moody, evocative opening theme that the show never lives up to, and the rest of the soundtrack performs well too, but all else is a chore to wade through.

4.5/10 overall

OmegaYami Dec 14, 2016

your review made me smile because I remember the same exact feeling :)

I always considered it "incomplete", and it was disappointing because -back then- had great potential (music, animation, chara design ecc). A missed chance...

Uriel Feb 7, 2016

Maybe my commoner taste was still underdeveloped back in the day when I watched it but I enjoyed WHR immensely and so did everyone I rewatched it with. Grim, moody urban fantasy with a great soundtrack. Sure it was slow - main story arc begun in episode 13 if memory serves. But once it started it kept the viewer glued to the chair.

AnimationFangirl Nov 11, 2015

I just love your review of this and it made me laugh cause its all too true.

This was pretty bad and it could have been so much better.

Raku Mar 22, 2015

Don't get me wrong though because I wanted to like it. The premise seemed cool and all (hell it was even dubbed), but unfortunately the first epiosde (pilot) didn't pull me in.

Raku Mar 22, 2015

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of this one either. I dropped it first episode in because nothing drew me, and it seemed very bland (to me atleast).