Vikingr's avatar

• Joined Oct 9, 2011
  • ? / M

Full Metal Panic!

Oct 31, 2012

I gotta say, I was sceptical at first, being that I'm not that into the mecha genre. But I thought that one time had to be the first, so I decided on FMP. And I can truthfully say that I'm glad I did. Not because of the mecha, but for the comedy and the characters.

The Story is about a young high-school girl named Kaname Chidori that is among a select few on the earth codenamed "whispered". These people have some sort of information locked away in their brain. Information that could prove very valuable for some people. A nationally independent anti-terrorist organization known only as "Mithril" are set on protecting these people. What do they do? They send in a 17-year old military hardcore professional arm-slave(mech) pilot undercover to watch her. He doesn't have a clue as how to function in a normal society, as he is always in a "combat scenario". Mix this together with a dangerous individual looking for the whispered, and the chaos begins.

The animation is pretty standard-looking, apart from the action scenes, which are very well animated. Gun animation, mech animation, and the lights and coloring, make for a pleasant watching experience when the lead is flying. Character animation is also nice, and the characters are nicely done.

The sound is pretty good in the everyday life situations, however it's in the action scenes it shines. Gun sounds are accurate and high quality, and the same can be said about the mech sounds. Voice acting is also pretty good.

The characters are amazing. A hot-headed high-school girl and a military 17-year old, is in a comical way, a perfect match. And to top it of, you get another young girl in the main cast. But this 18-year old girl is the captain of the most advanced submarine in the world, yet how clumsy she is. The secondary characters are also nicely picted, and not too much in the background.

Overall this series is awesome. Not necessarily because of the action, or the mechs, but as a comedy. It's still one of the funniest anime out there. As mentioned, I am not too into the mecha genre, but this series was alright, even for me. Great main characters, and nice action scenes.

8/10