Vague's avatar

Vague

• Joined Apr 15, 2011

FLCL

Jun 20, 2011

So here's the deal with FLCL, if you go into it expecting anything and I mean anything at all you will be disappointed. Don't listen to your friends or forum buddies, heck don't really listen to me or take my review to heart, just watch it, learn it, love it.

Uh, there's a kid and some chick and another, cooler chick who runs over the kid with her moped which causes robots to pop out of the kids head at random and something about saving the world. Does it make sense? No. Does it need to? Absolutely not. Sure, sure there are some who see the deeper meaning and claim that the story is really about adolescence and growing up and all that fun stuff. For me, I saw interesting characters, over the top anime comedy and some pretty freakin sweet action scenes. That's all an anime really needs right? I've seen the series a couple times straight through (easy to do since it's only 6 episodes long) and I get something new out of it every time. It's an anime that makes fun of anime/manga in one episode and in the next it's the most epic thing you've ever seen.

You may start to watch the series and go why in the world would Vague rate this a 9.0? First of all you're not going into it with an open mind like I told you ;) and second, oh just wait. Sure the general animation is pretty meh, but there are a few fight scenes that look amazing and ooooh the manga scenes. A couple times the show flips over into a semi-animated manga. Imo, FLCL is worth watching just for those scenes. The character design is pretty neat too, graphically speaking, and there's a sort of South Parkish bit that's interesting as well.

Pretty standard. Good opening/closing themes and the background music was typically to my liking. For the most part the voices are decent, though I really didn't like Mamimi's voice (English dub).

The main character, Naota, is pretty boring until robots start popping out of his head, but that's okay, Haruko is really the one who steals the show. She's supposedly an extraterrestrial investigator who's looking for some guy named Atomsk. She's employed as Naota's family maid and goes around the city running people over and hitting them on the head with her bass guitar. It's explained later that she's actually creating portals with her guitar to bring out robots from a group called Medical Mechanica in order to capture Atomsk. Like most of the story that doesn't really matter, she's witty and crazy and epic all at the same time and really makes the show fantastic. The other characters kind of get shoved to the back, but Naota's dad and grandpa are pretty entertaining, and Mamimi has a few lines here and there, but most of the time you're just trying to figure out what the heck is going on and Haruko tends to be the focal point.

Overall- 8.5
I really found it difficult to write this review. Like I said in the intro, it is what it is and nothing I write is going to help you out. The easiest thing to do is just watch it...and then maybe a year from now watch it again. You may love and then hate it or you may hate it both times, either way FLCL is one of those series that every anime lover should watch at least once in their lifetime.

Another time, another review.

7.5/10 story