Vague

Psycho-Pass

29 MAR
2013

Simply awesome series, from the very first episode I was hooked. It’s dark and twisted and a bit of a mind destroyer but I loved every minute of it. If you like futuristic, rage against the machine, psycho-thriller types then order this one my friends.

Story- 9/10

While the whole story has a sort of been there done that feel, it definitely scores pretty high in my book. In the future, a person’s mental state, and therefore their probability to commit crimes, can be measured by a device called a Psycho Pass. These passes are registered and monitored by the Sibyl System, which is basically Big Brother but in Tokyo. If someone’s Crime Coefficient gets too high they are hunted down by the police and deemed too dangerous for regular society. This force is led by Inspectors, your basic detectives, and Enforcers, criminals whose crime coefficients have become too high to recover but who still retain enough sanity to become controlled cops. Inspectors and Enforcers use these lovely devices called Dominators that instantly read a person’s crime coefficient and determine the necessary action to apprehend them….which sometimes means being blasted into chunky bits. I’m not going to lie, at first I was kind of nervous about the whole direction of the show cause obviously the only direction you can go with a machine ruled system is public rebellion right? Wrong. Well, kind of. Let’s just say for all the predictable episodes there are some extremely unpredictable cliff hanger endings that make you go “WHAT!” Well, ya know, if you’re the kind of person that yells at the screen after becoming way too emotionally involved…

Animation- 9/10

Fits like a glove. I didn’t really like the character animation at first, but then I realized that it’s just Akane that I think looks funny….and my problem was solved. Like I said, the whole show has a dark and twisted feel to it while staying pretty realistic. The animation fit really well with the feel and motion of the show, playing with shadows and dark city backdrops. Good stuff.

Sound- 8/10

Average. Good background music, opening/closing themes, voices. I don’t know if it was Ko’s character or his voice or both but it was pretty sexy….that’s all.

Characters- 7/10

This was really the only department I felt lacked anything. I generally liked the main characters; Akane had me worried for a bit cause I tend to hate weak minded leads but she shaped up nicely and Kogami was perfect even if the whole good guy gone rogue is a little overdone. The other Enforcers and Inspectors were fairly interesting as well, just nothing new or exciting. I very much enjoyed Makishima, the “bad guy”, but I sort of had a hard time following some of his reasoning at times…which I think may have been the point. He’s supposed to be this anomaly that really throws the team for a loop, which he does, I just felt like sometimes I was a little too lost in the loop myself to really appreciate him. However, many a time he was also the reason for the ridiculous cliff hangers that made the series freakin fun to watch.

Overall- 8.5-10

Great show. Like I said I was pretty hooked through the whole series which is pretty hard to find nowadays. The end is a little anticlimactic but I guess that’s okay, it’s better than ending without closer to the story. Check it out if you like the futuristic, thinker types or maybe if you need a break from happy fun-time shows.

Another time, another review.

Other Anime Reviews by Vague