VacuumTan's avatar

• Germany
  • Joined Apr 21, 2013

Shuumatsu no Laughter

May 11, 2013

Shuumatsu no Laughter is a sweet little short-short Manga that I came to adore very much.

I've never read Kekkaishi, so I wasn't even familiar with Tanabe Yellow by that point. Which made me wonder why I was head-over heels for the artwork by the first colour page. Yes, the art is simplistic and definitely fit for a Shounen Manga, but it's also very balanced and anatomy as well as the cuteness factor for characters is great. The backgrounds and surroundings are drawn beautifully and if you mash all that together you get an amazing art-style.

The story has one major flaw- it's way too short, even though it has so much potential. So, after the story basically ends, you feel like this was one of those first arcs for a manga that'll be 700 chapters long in the end.

The setting in a ~medival world with a demon giving its mouths to humans to become immortal is nothing new, sure, but it's not one of those completely overused themes.

Our hero is, for once, not a complete retard guy destined to be something big, but has his principles and thinks for himself. And he takes the term 'caring big brother' to another level. Yeah, to the level where he lies about something that makes his life a lot harder for his sister's sake.

The side-characters somehow have some sort of character, too. They are even shown to have something like feelings and thoughts, as bizarre as it sounds for those townspeople that are usually just NPCs.

Somehow, Shuumatsu no Laughter wraps its short story and charming characters up nicely, though, in a cuddly, fluffy little world of its own. And who knows, it's just that warm feeling in your heart that makes you feel like you get that world.