VacuumTan's avatar

• Germany
  • Joined Apr 21, 2013

Doubt

May 11, 2013

I hadn't read this Manga before but I had heard some pretty good stuff about it. Some people told me how suspenseful and thrilling this whole story was, so I was freaking pumped when I bought it almost a year ago.

I pretty much sucked up the four volumes in no time, and damn, was I

disappointed.

Yeah, you heard me right. Maybe people got my expectations up, but to me, Doubt will forever remain a barely mediocre little story. I expected genius writing, endless gore and blow-your-mind revelations. But I didn't really find either of that to a greater extent. Yet I don't want to sound like I was hating, so...

ABOUT THE STORY:

• The lighthearted feeling in the beginning that the author had been aiming for seemed somewhat half-assed. Especially when putting cover art like that at the front of the volume. It will make the reader grow suspicious and takes away a lot of the possible shocking appeal. Think of Higurashi, for example. After two episodes you know how it works, but it still punches you in the gut with a lot of gore when the cheery beginning is over.
  • So they are knocked out and thrown into an empty place and are forced to play a game that apparently includes killing off some of the others.... Well, that sure does ring some bells.
  • The weariness aimed at one another doesn't really feel like it does make sense. I'm not sure, but maybe putting someone else's perspective in would've made it clearer and the characters would seem to have more logically explainable emotions.
  • Also, the final reveal... well, I didn't think of it, but it wasn't exactly shocking or anything. "dafuq did i just read." Sums it up nicely.
  • And the way it ends... it's the kind of thing you can pull in a horror-game, but not like that. You need some jumpscare-sfx for that.

ABOUT THE CHARACTERS:

• They all pick up some sort of cliché. And, while some Manga can pull even that off, Doubt just has clichéed characters.
  • YU: The typical protagonist that doesn't get anything but still makes it, somehow. The fact that he's the one missing... a certain something... doesn't make it better. Neither does the fact that he's the main love-interest's love-interest.
  • MITSUKI: The typical damsel in distress, the fighter for love and justice, Heart Aino and Bang Shishigami's forbidden love-child- that's what Mitsuki is. Well, until everything goes down. But even so, she's just that plain.
  • HARUKA: The sexy onee-chan that messes with Yu's hormones. She's only there because TEEEEETS.
  • EIJI: The high school delinquent. Smoking and drinking, really.
  • REI: She doesn't exactly fit a single cilché. It's more like she's a mixture of a few. A crippled psychic and an adorable distant loli. Until everything goes down. But even then, she's still kind of... predictable.
  • HAJIME: Mysterious older megane with a pretty face and doubtful reasoning and background.

ABOUT THE ART:

• It's decent, overall. I'll just put a few cons below.
  • The faces are sometimes entirely off. Like, seriously. The mouths go anywhere and the eyes travel up and down. Also, some expressions aren't as expressive as one might want them to be.
  • Physics. No, you can't keep up a limp body by just driving a stake through each hand and the chest. Unless you impale the person's chest so hard that the stake goes through and you can still dig it 20cm into the wall. Then maybe it won't go floppy-floppy.
  • When Hajime first appears he is, if you pay attention to where his behind is, sitting INSIDE the wall. Or above the floor. Your choice.
  • Sometimes, the blood splatters are kind of awkward. Especially below girls. I mean... yeah.
  • Something that really is anticlimatic is that the backgrounds aren't dark and elaborate enough. It's one of the most important things to get the atmosphere right. Even in an empty room the walls have to be dark and the ceiling and floor need to be detailed enough to see each and every crack.
  • Spaghetti-anatomy or suddenly becoming fat. It happens frequently when the character is not the main person in the picture. And sometimes even then. But that can be forgiven easily.

Doubt is labeled 16+ in Germany. I don't see why.

Where is the gore that you promised me? Where is the stomach-turning story?

I've seen a lot better, but I've also seen worse.

Final rating: Meh.