Utomneian's avatar

• USA - Central Time
  • Joined Feb 3, 2013

K-On! Movie

Jun 23, 2013

this movie started off really kickass (considering i'm a metal fan), but then slowly went downhill, to either boring me or confusing me about halfway through the movie due to a strange issue between two of the characters that had no place in the plot considering the logic of the characters (i don't want to spoil with details, just watch it).

i agree with many who say this was just one long episode, didn't feel epic really, aside from going on a out of country trip, and some other things that i'm afraid to mention because this site doesn't like spoilers in reviews.

Story 5/10, this is dictated by the few flaws of this movie, and the fact that this seems to be 50% fluff filler (though then again, the entire series is basically built on a lot fo filler), and eventually lines up with episode 24, which really messed with my head the whole time because i didn't realize this til like the last 15 minutes of the movie of the timeline.

Animation 9/10, it's KyoAni, and to be honest with you, they are the ONLY reason i ever watched K-ON!, like, seriously, even though the art is based on the manga style, it's still KyoAni, they make gold, though not always the best direction decisions, as we can see in the K-ON! movie on one note i will mention later with a spoiler warning.

Sound 9/10, okay, i originally was gonna do 8/10, but then i remembered that kickass song at the beginning and i was like "well, i guess i can bump up the score, hehe"

Characters 6/10, which i would say 7/10 during the series, not deeply fleshed out characters, yet they are still fairly solid and likeable, but in this movie something happens that feels out of character that made me question the writing staff.

Overall 6/10, i was generally not as into this movie, though i was never really a "fan" persay of this series either, but i was into it enough to stick watching through it til the end, but i just wished there was more substance and more depth, but i knew what i was getting into, a "light hearted slice of life comedy", meh, seriously, KyoAni is the ONLY reason i watched this series  xD

SPOILER ALERT: during the movie, Yui was trying to write lyrics for a Azusa dedication song, and Azusa stumbled upon Yui's notebook that said something about "loving Azunyan", so Azusa thought Yui wanted to rape her, and at one point there was a vague misunderstanding and Azusa elbowed Yui in the stomach, and pretty much acted alienated to Yui the rest of the movie.  this kind of bothers me because Yui has always been weird and touchy feely, so for Azusa to react to this situation like she did seemed to break character.