Ulicia's avatar

Ulicia

• New Jersey, USA
  • Joined Jan 1, 2011

Overall Comments:

At first I was hesitant about watching shows that involve war and violence, but the complexity of this story and its wonderfully drawn characters completely won me over.  The main character, Lelouch Lamperouge, had good intentions, but like any good anti-hero had almost completely lost sight of his initial goal.  However, unlike most, [spoiler alert] he ended up making the biggest sacrifice to change the world.  Although he is considered an egoist by himself, his friends, and the viewers, if one thinks about it thoroughly it is actually quite unclear.  Perhaps he made the sacrifice to make up for all the sins he committed, or maybe he had finally re-grasped his mission to create a gentler world for Nunnally (and at the same time, creating a better world for the others as well).  It is this "perhaps" that captivates my interest and keeps me hanging on to the story and the lessons it gives us, of morality and ethics, even after I've watched the entire series.

Characters: Absolutely splendid.  Best lead role I've ever seen.  The character design may be a little cliched (with the pink haired princess and the overly skinny frames), but overall 10/10.

Plot: Extraordinary.  Exceeds expectations.  The conflict between Lelouch and his former best friend, Suzaku, and their different views of the value of human life and methods of changing the world, make the story more interesting and emotional.  Romance is also included, but not to the point where i would puke.

And finally: I believe this show deserves much more viewers than it has.  R2 gave me the exact same experience (although usually the story dries out in the later seasons, but I was not disappointed).

This is probably the most tedious review I've ever done, but I am certainly glad that I was able to convey how impressed I was by this anime series.

[/spoiler]