Tsukasa112's avatar

Tsukasa112

• <p>Australia</p>
  • Joined Aug 20, 2009

As you guys can see, I've given this some pretty high scores, because for each category, it was good like that. But Overall, I only gave it a 7? Why is that you ask, well that's easy. Madoka Magica is a Mahou Shoujo anime. I love Mahou Shoujo because it's a genre of anime that doesn't try to be all grimdark and depressing. Madoka however, did that. Not that it was bad, it actually did help the series become more popular; it's just not what I want in a Magical Girl series.

The series starts out with a pretty simple magical girl-esque plot; Girl meets animal, animal wants to contract with girl to be a magical girl. This is all well and good for the first 3 episodes, but then it takes a dive into the deep end of big kids pool. This series goes from fun to just absolutely depressing and dark. I can't say too much about the story other then what I've told you without spoiling; so you'll just have to see for yourself.

The animation is actually the reason I picked this up, SHAFT's style in this reminded me of the Negima OVA's, which is an art style I love in anime. So for me, this was good. Might not be some people's cup of tea though.

Sound and Music was good too, the opening and endings were both pretty decent, nothing spectacular. BGM's and Insert music did well to capture the scenes, but that's about it.

Characters - This is where It gets hard for me. The characters overall weren't that good. The series focuses on Madoka, but she hardly has any character development through out the series, and is really just a boring character. Her character development comes in late, which to me ruined it (It probably would have been better if the last two episodes hadn't been delayed a month, but whatever). The most interesting character is Homura, who I think should have been the main character of this series.

Basically, if you want a good Magical Girl series, don't watch this. If you want a good series in general though, then go check this out. (Then again, if you're not like me and don't mind a really Dark magical girl series, you could probably check this out) Also, if you liked Madoka go watch Kamen Rider Ryuki and open your eyes into the Toku universe. You won't regret it.

Nlwino says...

I think your end rating is a bit to much based on your personal view, rather then being from a objective view. The dark plot was the only reason for me to watch this, as I am not a fan of majou shoujo in general. But you did explain why you gave it a lower rating, which is good. But I still think a rating on a review should be from a objective view.

Jan 14, 2012