TropicalSwirl's avatar

• USA
  • Joined Sep 4, 2007

K

Apr 11, 2013

My first review! How exciting. I have written this with no spoilers, so feel free to read if you haven’t watched. This does mean that some of the specific things I wished for in the series I left out, but I would be glad to discuss them with anyone who is interested.

Story [5/10]

The general concept of the system of Kings and related powers was really cool. I felt like it had a lot of potential, but it was never fleshed out enough to get me truly interested. I wanted more background on the groups and I wanted to see more of the intricacies between them. I wanted some explanations for why things were the way they were. I felt left with a lot of questions that I was eager to hear the answers to. Not every single thing had to have reason or history, but the complete lack of ground left the present story teeter-tottering on a random world. The situation around the main character, Shiro, was interesting enough to keep me watching. I wanted to know what was going to be revealed about his baffling life at the end and I wasn’t disappointed with the creative turnout, but, once again, without any ground to support it it was just a cute little plot twist. They did try to give some background at least, but barely any. And even what was given left more questions that would naturally be asked and as well as a pinch of confusion.

Vibe: Animation + Sound [7/10]

I have a bad habit of not paying much attention to music aside from the openings and endings, but if it’s music that elicits a powerful reaction from me, I will notice. The overall vibe of K was cool. One of the first things that got me interested was the animation and I particularly enjoyed the colors. The vibe stayed interesting throughout the series, but it wasn’t particularly striking either. I felt like there was room to get more intense, but I don’t know if they could given the lack of intensity with the story and characters.

Characters [6/10]

The one character I enjoyed thoroughly was Mikoto Suoh. Near the end I found myself rooting for him as the main character, for I felt more of an attachment to him than anyone else. He was a cool dude that was given enough history and implications about his nature to care about. The rest weren’t given enough intricacies to make me feel much for them, but at least they all had one or two defining traits or habits so I never mixed them up. A lot of them were pretty to look at. Neko had the potential to be cute and to even have her cool moments, but instead I found myself flinching and wishing for earplugs every time she screeched.

Overall [5.5/10]

It was okay. It had enough decent moments to sit through and follow, but it never elicited much of a reaction from me and I like to feel emotions when I watch anime. I wish they had made it more complicated, the relations more messy, and the action more crazy. If you want something easy to sit back, relax, and watch with some attractive characters and a mildly interesting world, you could give K a try.

5.5/10 overall