Tomo90's avatar

• Perth, Australia
  • Joined Jun 28, 2011

Air

Aug 18, 2011

A travelling puppeteer, Kunisaki Yukito, has made his way to a small seaside town in search of a ‘girl in the sky’. After arriving in this town he found that his puppet show was not that popular with the local children and found himself without any money. After being woken up by a local girl, Yukito suddenly had a vision of the girl in the sky. Who is this girl and is she the one he has been looking for?

Air starts of slow at the beginning and sort of drifts away from the main story because the story is still establishing itself and the main characters. I’ll say this upfront the story is quite complex and a bit of confusing at times. After I finished watching it I needed to think about what happened and I even looked up what other people thought to confirm my suspicions. But with that being said it was a really nice story and is definitely a bitter/sweet anime. There is a bit of comedy thrown around to add a different dimension which added a nice touch.

The characters seem unique, not too many stereotypes. Each of the characters has their own personal struggles and issues which created nice depth to them. The emotions of the characters seemed real and the audience can certainly connect and sympathise with them.

The music was good and added a nice touch to the sad and tender moments. The artwork and animation were very well done. It was detailed and displayed the emotion of the characters very well.

This anime has a nice and complex story with some symbolism. If you’re after an anime which makes you think, has a good story and touch you emotionally then Air is what you’re looking for.

8.5/10 animation