Tomo90's avatar

Tomo90

• Perth, Australia
  • Joined Jun 28, 2011

When I when to watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I unwittingly began to watch it in the order it was broadcasted, now for those who don’t know the broadcasted order is not linear so I had a wft moment after I watched it because the first episode in the broadcasted order is actually the 11th one in the chronological order. Lucky I decided to watch the second episode, which is actually the first episode in chronologically, and it made more sense to me. So for those of you who are watching it for the first time make sure you watch it in chronological order it makes a whole lot more sense.

Ok, with that little note out of the way time for the story. The story is very interesting and there is a little twist around every corner. However it is the evolution between the two main characters, Haruhi and Kyon, that really interested me. At first I thought that it was going to like Clannad but I was so wrong. Although it was elements of Clannad, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya excelled in many different areas much more. The comedy was a lot funnier and the personalities of each character were much more defined and unique (not so many stereotypes). Each character had their own story to tell which was brilliant and each had their own motives.

Haruhi, the main character, is described as an ‘alien’ because she lacks what most people would call a normal sense of what is right and wrong. Haruhi is not interested in normality and looks to quench her boredom at any opportunity.  This leads to some rather funny situations especially when she drags her club, SOS brigade, along for the ride.

There is a hint of romance in this anime but it doesn’t develop to anything substantive but it does add a nice touch to the story and a couple of tender moments.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Its story was funny and interesting, it had unique characters and their development was well done. I could keep praising this anime till my voice failed and still not reach the satisfaction it deserved. It’s definitely one to put on your list to watch.