TinyBird's avatar

• sepai's bed
  • Joined May 19, 2012

Shiki

May 26, 2012

(Synopsis) Just like in a typical horror, the anime is set in a small village called Sotoba which is secluded by a big group of trees. There has been a rumour spreading around the village that Sotoba is surrounded by death - that soon becomes a true case. One year, during summer, a mysterious series of misfortunate events takes over the small town - a great number of the citizens begin dying with no evidence of any illness. For the time being, it is thought to be an epidemic. With an unusual rate of deaths, the local doctor, Toshio, and the chief monk, Seishin, become suspicious of the occuring events and decide to investigate the case. With so many deaths piling up, is it actually just  a sudden epidemic, or has this whole occurance got something to do with the Kirishiki family that have only just moved into this village?

(Review) I remember that the first half of the anime seemed to be more terrifying the the ending half. The anime has vampires, so I guess that you would think it's one of those Twilight love story crap. No. Not in the slightest bit is it like that horrible fake movie. There is no romance or love triangle, to be clear. I like the different view of vampires, or the Shiki (or even, the Risen) - they're the names that the vampire creatures are called throughout the anime. The music matched the dark atmosphere and kept things tense and thrilling. At some times, the characters have been a bit strange, and annoying, most - if not all - having so many negative points about them. Therefore, I was sometimes pretty frustrated with the anime being so negative and when the village was so unsuccessful at most of the times. Honestly, I was pretty disappointed with the ending - which I won't explain what happened - because if the ending did differ, I'm sure the anime itself would be much more promising to watch. However, moving to more positive points about the anime, I extremely fell in love with the dark story of Sunako. She, in all of the characters, was probably my favourite - so dark and revengous, yet so delicate and calm.

(Final Thoughts) Shiki was at times very frustrating and dull, however it had a nice gothic feel to it. The story was very original and different to many other vampire animes/movies/tales out there. I therefore give Shiki a total rating of 6.5 out of 10.

6.5/10 animation