TinyBird's avatar

• sepai's bed
  • Joined May 19, 2012

Princess Tutu

Mar 3, 2014

I would just like to start of by saying that personally, I am not a great fan of magical girl anime and it is actually on my 'Top three least favourite genres' however, I did greatly enjoy this particular magical girl anime. To me, being a ballet dancer, the anime was one of my favorites, however I tried not to let this make the review too positive and was honest with my opinions, not just considering the fact that this is one of my all-time favorites. Well, without further ado, let's get on with the review, shall we?

Synopsis Princess Tutu has a storyline basically about about a story - if that even makes sense. Before the tragedy author - Drosselmayer - could finish one of his tales, he died, causing the story to take a life of its own. Ahiru, who is the main character in the anime, transforms from a duckling - or, referring to Andersen's classic story, an ugly duckling - to a beautiful princess (Princess Tutu) in quest of restoring the prince's heart. However, perhaps loyal act of love is not enough to rewrite Drosselmayer's tragic tale's ending.

Review Every once in a while, you come across an anime where everything is so well put together that it is literally unreal. At times I think that maybe some of the older animes are better than the latest ones - as much as this is slightly disappointing, it's true. Princess Tutu is one of those anime where you try so damn hard to pick at least one negative point about something, at least something, and in the end, you just give up due to the hard work and effort the team put into this little show. While this anime may be thought to be one of those anime's that you'd think only girls would watch, I strongly disagree with that and definitely recommend it to boys as well; trust me, you'll enjoy the classic fairy tale feel if you're into this kind of stuff.
A little warning, there is some near-nudity scenes. And while Ahiru's body isn't physically mature for it to be a big deal, I just wanted to say that it is there. However, this is nothing major and barely really happens. Oh, and of course it is quite common in magic girl anime.

Animation - 8/10A shoujo anime isn't a real shoujo anime unless it includes pretty girl characters, bright and cheerful colors, and a world that any little girl would love to live in. Princess Tutu includes all this and more. It hasn't got overly bright colors as there are usually a bit of darker tones inserted, however this does not in any way spoil the shoujo anime feel - in my opinion of course.

Sound - 10/10It's not just how great the music in Princess Tutu is, it's the way it is used throughout the anime that is even better. Many famous ballet music is borrowed off of renown composers such as Tchaikovsky or Wagner. In my personal opinion, I think the timings of the music were flawless. Whether it's blaring passionately over a dance sequence and quietly playing in the background when Ahiru wakes up, not one piece of music is misplaced.

Usually, subbed anime episodes are my preferrence, however I did try out the dubbed version as well and I must say, both voice actresses - Nanae Katou and Luci Christian - did great with dubbing the sweet little duckie princess Ahiru. Both the English and Japanese performances manage to keep the voices natural and human-like while keeping the touch of fantasy.

Characters - 9/10】All characters are lovely and unique in their own ways. They are very complex, loveable characters which form their own ideas and act entirely different from their appearances, showing the rich development throughout the show.

Overall - 9.9/10】As I have mentioned already, I am deeply in love with this anime, despite the genre of it (Magical Girl) being one of my least favorite. A story of this type would most likely appeal to those who enjoy a bit of fantasy and shoujo, with a touch of the classical fairy tale feel. This may not be everyone's cup of tea, and can definitely think of a few people who wouldn't enjoy the show to the extent that I did.

Nevertheless, this does not change my fond opinion about Princess Tutu, which was a beautiful story from start to finish. The characters and lovely, the story is incredibly put together, and the music is wonderful. Be sure to try this anime and you may fall in love with it as much as I did.

9.9/10 overall