Thrawn's avatar

• Canada, eh
  • Joined Dec 27, 2009

Hideout

May 12, 2012

It goes from dramatic reasoning to psycho lunacy and only gets better from there. From a man's good intentions of trying to reconcile with his wife to his intent to commit murder, it starts off a tad dreary and goes to hell as things take a turn for the creepy. It's an unpleasant read, but in a good sense.

In the single volume that encompasses it, we get to know enough of the main to feel like he isn't just a cog in the machine to move the plot along. He has depth and his wife is given some padding out, who is simply more than a miffed miss. We know more about how they got there instead of just a disturbing present and unpleasant circumstances and more about the situation at hand, but not everything. Some explanations are left out but if everything was explained it wouldn't be as imaginative, would it? Or it wouldn't be... as thinky as things go.

But you know: past, check. Present events go along in a grim and what I think is a realistic and stylish art style. It feels sketchy at times but in a way that benefits the tone. It lends itself to the creepiness and with excellent use of shadows makes the suspense and chills all the greater. It's unpleasantly pleasant to the eye without resorting to absolute gore and blood to make a point. Features great character design in terms of the main, the cave dweller and the boy.

At the end of the tale, I felt satisfied. It reached an end that I liked and the journey through was more than just creepy. It's a fast read and works well as a single volume work. High marks for the main, as it's about him first and foremost; liked the art even if it did become a bit crazy at times but high marks for the main. Again. And I just felt satisfied for the most part on the story.

9.5/10 characters