Thrawn's avatar

• Joined Dec 27, 2009

Eureka Seven

Apr 25, 2012

For the Buddy Group

Story: At first, it looks like it's about mecha, or comedic-mecha-action-shounen-possibly-romance, but it's not. First and foremost is the characters, Renton and Eureka, and for the first half, a healthy portion of it is character development. I don't have a problem with that, as the character development episodes are some of the best ones in the series. It keeps enough of the plot around but it really kicks into gear after the mines. Things change and it starts to ask questions. The questions are aplenty, and thankfully it provides answers. It sometimes takes a while but I was satisfied with what I heard. Didn't get it all, but that was what the buddy group was for.

The mecha action is fast and furious when it shows up, and it goes much deeper than just big mecha and ships blasting the shit out of each other. The Nirvash and The End go farther than just mecha, and it only adds to the tale, which is pure majesty. I was captivated and enthralled at the tale it wove, from the humble beginnings to the whole "Giant mecha crashed into my house and cute girl climbs out of it" to the endgame.

It's really about the romance, and that was why I really decided to watch it. Not just for the mecha or trippy trapar waves (Glowy green trails, or whatever colour trails), but for the romance between Renton and Eureka. It's believable, it's sweet, it has it's bumps and milestones and it's one of the best I've seen. This is why you should watch it.

I can't end this segment without a shoutout to episode 26, one of the best episodes of anything. It defined Eureka Seven in it's moment of glory. And the soccer episode. That's the worst way to end a season, but it was made up by the final season.

Animation: Those tripped out trapar waves the surfing mecha leave in their wake is so gnarly! Just so... wavy. And it doesn't stop there. It's in multiple colours! Woah!

And then there's the mecha that surf them, firing all them missiles, laser light shows, explosions and blood- great stuff, and the characters too. Great designs, Eureka is a heroine that's so adorable! Feels like she's her own, instead of something like a pettanko-tsundere with long hair, you know? I don't, but she looks adorable.

Only problem is season 3 drops the ball a bit, but they blew their budget on episode 26 and season 4, which is so gorgeous that I cried. It was so... beautiful.

Sound: Sheer. Majesty. The OP's are amazing and Eureka Seven leaves the best for last. The EP's are pretty damn good on their part and while I may have only liked them at first, they really grew on me and missed them when the next season rolled around. The background music is just as amazing and the VO's are brilliant, especially the "To Be Continued" bit at the end of each episode. Loved it!

And gratuitous English, especially in the preview. So cheeseball that it's hilarious.

Characters: Ayyy-yaaa, on one hand, you have Eureka and Renton, and their development not only as people, but together in a relationship, as they grow on each other. The progression feels real; the development genuine; their feelings heartwarming and incredibly sweet. Some of the secondaries have their absorbing development, Holland in particular, and goes to display them in one of the show's crowning traits: Character development.

On the other hand, some are underdeveloped to the viewer's chagrin and dismay. Dominic and Anemone in particular, as they were two unsung heroes in the series that deserved more screentime, backstory and everything. But they are still great, and a totally worthy addition to the series.

Other characters are the ones you love to hate, the oneshots and Captain Mustache who seems to square off against Gekkostate quite often. The dude's so cool that they brought him back. Now that's staying power! And there's Charles, in one of the best arcs of the series and one of my personal favorites.

Overall: This is one of the best anime I've ever watched. The romance and character development really sell it, and it's also the driving force of the show. As it's primary components, it succeeds immensely and it's worth a watch for those two aspects alone. Don't come for the awesome mecha action, come for the characters and heartwarming romance.

9.5/10 animation