Thrawn's avatar

Thrawn

• Canada, eh
  • Joined Dec 27, 2009

There's this one scene (Or segment) in the movie where Sayuri picks up a violin and plays it. Along with the imagery, the sheer beauty of both music and visuals made me weep. The only other time I came close to weeping (Sounds better than crying in this case) was with another violin but that first example really got me. But that's not to say that they're the only good looking or good sounding scenes, as this movie is absolutely gorgeous and a feast for both the eyes and the ears. It may possibly be the most beautiful film I have ever seen as of yet. It's just gorgeous segment after gorgeous segment. I fear to know the budget on this.

Also on sound, sometimes no music can work better than the greatest piece, and the movie knows it. Used brilliantly in one memorable part, but it would be traipsing in spoiler territory to describe when.

Apart from the sublime animation and gorgeous music, there's the story; one of romance and tragedy. It starts off with Hiroki and Takuya, the two male leads, working together on a common goal; to rebuild/repair a plane and go to the tower in Ezo in it. It's a simple premise, but it works. Sayuri is brought into the mix and the goal remains the same. It's kinda tough to go on without spoiling anything (As the above is mostly in the synopsis) but there's hope among the sadness, and that keeps it from falling into the abyss of despair. And I should mention; it is slow. It doesn't rush things and that works with it. Probably wouldn't be as good if it rushed or was fast-paced.

What I'll remember most from this is the violin and the beautiful (No other word works as well) animation. But I wouldn't forget the story and what transpires within it. Heck, I'll probably remember most of it; it's another work of art by a genius. Unbelievable stuff.

9.5/10 sound