Thrawn's avatar

• Canada, eh
  • Joined Dec 27, 2009

Ai Kora

Sep 1, 2013

Story: Ai Kora, a heartwarming tale about a guy who loves parts. I don't just mean an ass-man or a titty fiend, this is a guy with class and expectations, specific taste and a gourmet palette. He wants a specific kind of bust, eyes, legs ass neck waist etc etc. Each part needs to be a specific size and shape and this form of fetish is aptly called "Parts love". The series runs on this theme and is the absolute driving force behind his actions (Lets call him Maeda) and his need to protect and desire for said parts is also a running theme in the chapters within the series. Of course there's ecchi, that goes without saying, but it's good ecchi. Not the depraved kind but mostly in a comedic sense or in a way that will quickly lead to divine retribution and harassment (Sexual and non) is usually followed by an ass wupping. The character may vary on that one.

With the running theme in place, it may get tiresome but it's not simply about Hachibei (Also Maeda) lusting and protecting, we also get chapters to develop said parts. The manga takes some time outside of it's pervy, borderline sexual harassment tone to deepen the gals and new additions. There's motives, backstory, chemistry and believe it or not, it also goes to show that Hachibei cares. He's not simply a perv, he's a perv with a heart, a desire to make these gals happy. Actually kinda sweet.

It does have a nice balance of comedy and heartwarming bits, seeded with malicious (Comedic and pervy) intentions and showing that Hachibei isn't alone in his love for parts. Some of the most humorous moments come from his rivals and allies in love for said parts. The characters introduced there are fun and entertaining and mesh well with Hachibei, moving the plot along with comedy.

Art: It has charm and it doesn't overcomplicate things. Not sparse and yet not overly detailed. Reactions are sometimes (A lot of the times) cartoonish and definitely comedic as things are just either overblown or there's plenty of action onscreen. Feel fast-paced whenever Hachibei is around to stir up the pot. Really can't fault it as I loved the style.

Characters: At first they're merely what they are; parts and a single theme to define them. But then we get backstory to add meat to their bones and make them more than just names. How they react to Hachibei's intrusion into their lives and how he alters those around him with his zealous love for parts. The residents of the girls dorm and adjacent shed become more as the manga moves on and even secondaries got development and are more than just foils and characters meant strictly for comedy. I had fun with them and really liked them, which only grew as half aren't even one-shot characters and can appear at random.

Overall: I stalled it a while back as I got tired of it but when I returned to it years later, I just rocketed forward. It's charming but went too fast when I restarted it. It's not a series that should be marathoned, but one to be read now and then, a volume here and there so it wouldn't get wearisome and overstay it's welcome. A real solid series overall and one that should be checked out.

8.5/10 story