Thrawn's avatar

• Canada, eh
  • Joined Dec 27, 2009

GE - Good Ending

Feb 21, 2013

Story: I just loved this straight from the first few pages, where the main gets the taste smacked out of his mouth by a rogue tennis ball while playing voyeur on a distant third or so floor with some peeping specs. Comedic moments like these are present throughout, by means of slapstick, comedic dialogue or what have you but never consistent, as interspersed within the pages of this series is some truly heartwrenching moments, tearjerkers, heartwarming and it's a torrent of emotions. One chapter may leave you laughing, another may tug at your heart strings and convince you to read just one more chapter just to see the resolution.

It's not simply heart-affecting (Too many heart-adjectives) for kicks, as it truly does add some good moments that make you feel for the characters. It's not just stuck on for the most part and many times feel natural. They feel... right, in a way, like how all love stories have their twists and turns, falls from grace and rising once again from the ashes. These moments are what help define the characters and what helps to get the reader invested and wanting to read more.

Plot? Sure, I can throw you a bone: Continuing on the introductory sentence, the guy is practically blackmailed to join the Tennis club, but is cleverly duped into joining after some sneaky work by the dame on the cover of the first volume. This peeping, I should mention, is done on his adorable sempai, so adorable! Anyway, this isn't a sports manga so it isn't Tennis 20 hours of the day but still has a nice presence in the plot.

If I had to add another... mark onto the plot, it'd be the ending. If I could sum it up, it'd be contrived, just because I like the word. But really, it kinda made me wince when it went on the route it took. I enjoyed it some but kinda felt... out of place, so to speak. The events afterward are the immediate (Or near immediate) conclusion and it felt a bit rushed.

Art: Heheh, it looked good. Some really picturesque scenes (Heh) and the characters, loooooved! It's not simply an art evolution of the mangaka's style as time progressed but the change in characters, like how they grow up bit by bit and as I read it, it felt like I could see them change, especially the main. He's certainly different from the limp-noodle wussy boy he started off as and what he becomes later on and it's a real pleasure to see the change occur.

Once again, the characters look good. And as it's not primarily ecchi, they look good regularly. Or what I mean is the character designs are the groove dog, or spiff kicks, completely to my liking.

Characters: I spent a lot of time talking about plot so I'll save you the details and give you the cliffs notes of the review. They change, anybody who is a main or secondary either change or are developed. They hardly stay static and even the most genre-savvy of them gets development and depth. It's quite a trip to see them from the start to where they end up at the end.

While they provoke all kinds of emotions, it's the rate of change in them that's a real kicker. Sometimes I was pleading for them not to do something when just before I was cursing their name. I could be cheering for them and weeping for them in the next, I could go from one state into another just by their actions alone, as stupid or heartbreaking as they can be. They're human, and their actions reflect that.

I really don't want to go into specifics but once again, through the events you can really feel for the characters. You can feel the emotions they feel and so much more. They bring that out of you and while it may get headachey (?) at times, heartachey (?!) in others, they just work so well in their world. There is miscommunication, there is reasoning, there is conflict and resolve, there is everything we do portrayed in these pages. There is life, simple as that.

Overall: If you skipped the above then let's just say that I adored this immensely. I was invested emotionally and kept me reading, just to see how the recent turmoil would be resolved. If a romance can make you feel for the characters, then there isn't much else you need.