TheStampede01's avatar

TheStampede01

• Canada eh?
  • Joined Mar 3, 2012

Is it me or does this site just really hate older anime >_>

Anyway this review is for a very underwatched 80's OVA known as California Crisis. As you would guess the OVA is set in California, America and contains quite a lot of pop cultural references from that time such as Rocky.

Story- So the story follows this guy and girl as they're trying to run away from some secret government agency that is looking for this ball that the girl happened to pick up.Thats about it without spoiling the end... whch honestly wasn't that good. Its kind of a prolonged chase scene, but a really fun one atleast.

Animation- Where is OVA really shines. It has exceptional animation for the 1980's I honestly would compare it to modern shows like The Supernatural anime and Redline. Its got this extreme contrast style which makes it look like of comicbook-like and I think really works for the type of tone they are going for. Also I'd like to point out of the amount of fine details in this anime in terms of character design and most notably in the various vehicles throughout the OVA.

Sound- Standard Japanese 80's music, some will like it, some will not.

Characters- The main characters in this anime are the Man and girl that are running away from the government agents. They are not awfully interesting or developed in anyway. The fact that I can't even remember there names despite only watching it a short time ago reinforces this.

Overall- Obviously the animation is the main pull to watch this OVA. If you enjoy American pop culture references and cars I guess you would find this appealing as well. Honestly I thought it was worth the watch just for the great animation. If your looking for something with similar animation I would suggest Redline and The Supernatural anime.