TheFung's avatar

• ? / M

Sword Art Online

Dec 8, 2012

Story: 8/10

The story begins with the main character, Kirito, enjoying his time in the virtual world until everyone discovers that they're trapped in this virtual world. The only way to escape is to clear the game. If your HP drops to 0, you die in the virtual world and in the real world. Sword Art Online is a mix of action, adventure, and romance and I find that the romance is a nice way of making the scenes where there isn't fighting interesting. The only thing I don't like about the story is the time skipping. Some episode skip months in time and I wonder what happened during those months.

Animation: 10/10

From the very first episode, I fell in love with the animation. The colors are vivid and bright. The animation is smooth and crisp. The character designs are amazing. Nothing to complain about. SAO is probably one of the best animated series I've ever seen, style-wise.

Sound: 10/10

Another 10/10. I love the background music played during the entire series. From the epic battle themes, to the openers and endings, I loved it all. The variety of music is also interesting. You have calm, emotional music and face-pace, upbeat music.

Characters: 9/10

The main protagonist, Kirito, shows an enormous amount of growth throughout the series. Besides from the fact, that he almost never loses, he grows mentally from the situations that unfold in front of him. The death of his fellow guild members haunted him up in till his marriage with the female protagonist, Asuna. Both characters support each other and this is what allows them to grow. Kirito matures throughout the series and in the beginning; he realizes that he had put distance between him and his sister, Suguha. As the series continues, he reunites with Suguha and tries to make amends. He is said to not get along with other due to his straightforward personality, especially with girls. Furthermore, in the beginning, he claimed to enjoy his time in the virtual world more than the real world but later on, he realizes that both worlds are connect. The player and character are one and that anything he does will affect him in both worlds. Last thing I want to say about Kirito is that he is not your usual romance male character. He isn't dense and realizes that there are girls that like him. For example, he realized Lizbeth was about to confess to him before Asuna charged in.

Overall: 9.5/10

I love this series and the mental developments of the characters. Even the slower-pace episodes are great. When i watch this anime, it seems like there wasn't any time wasted in each episode. I look forward to future episodes and I wish they would animate the rest of the series. (Gun Gale Online, Mother's Rosario, etc.)