TheDudeMcDude's avatar

• 18 / ?

Fullmetal Alchemist

Feb 4, 2013

WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS HEAVY SPOILERS

Let me tell you all about a Manga series known as Fullmetal Alchemist, a great story that was well thought out and had unique characters and a fully realized world, it was so good it's one of my favourite Manga series, if not, then it's my favourite. In 2003, Bones animation studio, decided to make an Animé adaptation, but wait, the Animé was catching up to the Manga really fast, so instead of going the Naruto route (Filler hell) the studio made their own story half-way through production, but instead of making a far more deep and interesting story that they could've done, what was made was a story with half-a**ed pacing, story and leaves the viewer with such a bad taste in his/her mouth that the ending feels like a rushed unfinished piece of badly-written Fanfiction.

When the Animé follows the Manga, it's really damn good, even some of the filler was entertaining to sit through and I liked the extra back-stories to characters like Lust, Envy, Sloth Wrath and Izumi, apart from that, all other characters are reduced to awful development and are just kept around for bad one-liners i.e. Hawkeye. Then the story goes it's own route and THAT's when everything goes down-hill and by the end of the series, all the characters mentioned above and their interesting back-stories, go nowhere or are just killed-off and the SPOILER: alternate universe thing, was the worse Fanfic ever created, the story gets half the score, because it's half a story. 5/10

Animation:

Pretty damn good, with nice usage of shadows, colors, detail and balance of flashy effects and the frame-rate never jumped once. 10/10

Sound:

The dub is one of the best I've ever heard, really damn good. I don't remember many of the theme songs (apart from the 3rd, which I like) so that's not a good sign.

The back-ground music, is good, I guess, a stand-out moment is the usage of the harmonic choir. 6/10

Like I said, even though some characters have some unique but all their back-stories ultimately add up to nothing, with a rushed, unfinished story. 5/10

Overall:

It started out great, but ended terribly. 6.5/10