TheBigSecret's avatar

TheBigSecret

• Joined Apr 28, 2012

Fruits Basket

Apr 28, 2012

While this Fruits Basket wasn't too bad, there were a couple things that made it go stale for me after a while. The story wasn't bad, it was different from other mangas. But while saying that, there was also something about that was... generic. Typical. I'm not sure exactly what made that happen, but after a while it was like, 'Okay, I read this before'. It may have been overlapping on itself, I don't really know, but it just kind of lost its spark after a few volumes.

The thing that made me turn away the most was the characters. Tohru was the worst, being the most annoyingly nice character on the planet. I can't really say I hate her, because she's nice, but she's just TOO nice. No person would ever be as nice as she is, just kind of making her an unrealistic character (but what do I know about unrealistic?). She literally made herself sick because she was worrying about a test or something. She gave herself a fever for worrying. Tohru just worries way too much and cares way to much, making it obnoxious to read about her after a while. I mean, you have to hand it to her, because she's been through a lot, but seriously? Also, the other characters are either generic characters or are also annoying, though not all of them are. Shigure was funny at times, and other people had their moments, but overall the characters were a mess. Then again, maybe I just don't ike that much tragedy in one story messing with people's lives.

Overall, it was okay. Some people may like the tone of Fruits Basket more than I did, with the tragic characters, but it may make others cringe like I did after a while. Try it out, and if you don't like the first couple volumes, don't bother, because it won't change.

6.5/10 story

AirCommodore says...

I have the same problems with the series. I was rather fond of the first bunch of volumes, but I've been stalled on vol.15 for two or so years now. I just can't muster the efort to continue to read any more about Tohru >_<

May 7, 2012