Sweboz

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040

16 FEB
2010

Where to start? Okay, the year is 2040, the place is post-giant-earthquake-Tokyo. Humans have created robot slaves (called Boomers) to do most of the manual labor, and every now and then - one of those boomers goes crazy and starts rampaging around the city, this is when the Knight Sabers (an all female team of vigilante power suiters) come in and beat the... robot shit... out of it.

Story 6/10

The story has potential, but instead of really building up, it just sort of enters a preset conspiracy plot to which I admit to not fully understanding. The first half basically follows a woman named Linna Yamazaki and her quest to join the Knight Sabers and (when she finally does manage to join) her getting used to her new job of fighting giant rampaging robots.

The second half is basically the plot unfolding: why the Boomers go rogue, what that big earthquake was about, who stole the cookie from the cookie jar. This is where it starts to get kind of boring, I just want to see girls in power suits fighting robots damn it, and the incentive to care about the looming plot isn't too great considering its mediocrity.

Animation 7/10

I'm somewhat bias because I happen to like that older style of anime over the look-the-same kind of deal we have going on today, although the art and animation can falter here and there, and might look silly at times, bad animation isn't something to worry about should you want to watch this anime. I'd say it is perfectly acceptable.

Sound 6/10

Sound isn't good or bad, the intro is somewhat memorable, the background score of technoy-industrial is okay and fits the mood, if somewhat overused. The voice acting is fine (English and Japanese), sound effects are fine.

Characters 4/10

I found the characters to be rather boring for the most part, they don't really grow much, and they just aren't very interesting in the first place. Also, although supplied with a reason for an all female team, I can’t help but feel the real reason all the Night Sabers are female is because, unlike men, they look good in skin tight body-suits/power armor, which at a base level I appreciate, but at an intellectual level, I find quite silly.

You get a tough-girl named Priss (not quite as one dimensional as I make her sound), a motorcycle driving, rock band singing woman with a chip on her shoulder.

The leader of the group is Sylia, a mostly calm woman with some clashing anger problems.

A younger woman named Nene who is some sort of hacking pro (meh), she is kind of annoying but kind of cute too I guess.

The last member of the team is Linna, who is basically the main character; there really isn’t much to say about her.

Then there is a cop named Leon, who is angry at the Knight Sabers for doing a better job stopping the boomers than his anti-boomer wing of the police. Nigel, the mechanic for the Knight Sabers (who ironically acts about as human as the machines he makes). Some forgettable extras. The Bad Guy, and the other Bad Guy.

Overall 5/10

If you’re looking for a strong plot with above average characters, I don’t think you’ll find it here, but if you just want to see skin tight power suited girls fighting robots, then that’s exactly what you’ll get. The anime is kind of silly but it has some heart too

Other Anime Reviews by Sweboz

Mayo Chiki! user review by Sweboz

Mayo Chiki!

Seitokai no Ichizon user review by Sweboz

Seitokai no Ichizon

Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou user review by Sweboz

Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou

comments

babyh avatar babyh
Feb 16, 2010