StevenSAKUJO's avatar

StevenSAKUJO

• Australia
  • Joined Dec 30, 2010

Story: [4/10]

Code Geass starts off with Lelouch showing his true genius by winning a chess game (????), we didn't see how he won but we know he's smart from this (?????---?!?). Some evil guys take over the world and strip Japanese people of their pride and names, Lelouch, doesn't like this. Lelouch runs around town for a while and gains some superpowers then hops in a big fancy machine and turns the camera and says "Geniuses can operate any machine without reading instructions or knowing what to do, get with the program noobs". Lelouch runs away with his fancy mecha and says "haha, I have a pacman mini-map on my mecha, from this I've deduced that there is a convinent train with mecha in it'. Lelouch once more turns the camera and says "Geniuses can create spontaneous plans that fit together perfectly, don't you know JUST HOW SMART I AM!?!?" SWITCH BACK TO SOME DISTRESSED FAT ARROGANT BOURGEOIS, "Oh shiitt, something's going down but it's np cause I am GENIUS MILITARY MAN, all units go foward and crush them!!"

Lelouch laughs at the simplicity of the fat arrogant bourgeois' plan and then says "Obey me, the audience can vouch for me, they saw me play chess well so now I can lead you to victory" and the rebels are like damn who is this kid, oh well lets do it. Lelouch yells out with dramatic hand gestures, shoot to the left! to the right! backwards! Dramatic music follows and it's damn intense, the rebels begin to marvel in Lelouch's genius

Rebel #1: YOO THIS KID IS AMAZING

Rebel #2: Indeed, we will trust him for now

Rebel #3: How come our mecha's don't have pacman minimaps like his? Shit's so unfair yo

Rebel #1: These must be cheap models, fuck my luck seriously... I wouldn't need someone to tell me to shoot left or right if I had one for myself then i'd be god of the world too

Rebel #2: Yeah, he hi-jacked the enemies' mecha so it must be better

Rebel #4: How come they aren't shooting through walls when they have the same mecha...? I mean surely it can't be so difficult..

Zero: FOOLS, Only a genius can use this pacman minimap effectively, could a normal man honestly call out the exact direction in which to fire? NO. Could a normal man win a chess game? NO. So shut the fuck up and do as I say

Then Fat arrogant enemy leader laughs and says "mwuahaha, you're trapped now gg sucka" but Lelouch has a trick up his sleeve. He explains that "Geniuses' strategies may seem simple and obvious but you can't comprehend the finer details of my greatness, so shut up bitch"

Victory was achieved for the rebels and much happiness occured throughout the rebel noobs. Much audience applaud the Code Geass for creating a Death Note with action in it, Lelouch the genius of our time... achieved imbalance and allegedly owned. In all seriousness if I had time to break down the complete idiocy of evey situation like this then believe me I would, but unforuantly you're just gunna have to trust me when I say... I could!!! If this doesn't annoy you then that's cool, but I hope I have shown Code Geass is not so smarts...

I've heard such great stories about how brilliant and well designed this plot line is, the true genius of it etcetc blah blah.. However from a reviewers perspective, simply creating a character who is CALLED a genius, and SEEMS very moral or APPEARS to be very cool and awesome does not make an anime good. It's true that Code Geass attempts to remain true to the idea that this is not unrealistic, merely futuristic and thus everything Lelouch does is commendable for that very reason. However the difference saying something exists and showing it is what makes the difference between a good story. Death Note is an example of anime that can show it's genius, Code Geass is an example of an anime that describes it's genius, in other words nothing "genius" ever happens, and so the anime isn't genius. Just because it has a character who is supposedly a genius IN the anime... Just because other characters admire him or praise him, DOES NOT MEAN WE SHOULD. Be a little more critical for fucks sake..

I'm not going to write anything more about the story, if you want more then look at community reviews and click on the 1/10 one, he says the flaws very clearly and correctly.

Animation: [6.5/10]

Not too bad in my opinion, I think sometimes it was a little annoying and it ruined some of the scenes, i'll add some pictures hopefully to show you what I meant by that but generally it was quite acceptable. I never watched any mecha except this and Neon Genesis and so I'll just say I thought it was pretty cool.. but I can't really compare it to anything much. It was decent but it didn't stand out to me much, I think for dramatic scenes it would have been nicer if animation picked up a bit in quality.

Sound [6/10]

Not too bad, i'm a bit bias when it comes to OST I'll admit very openly. I don't really like the style of music that Code Geass decided to use but I can acknowledge that the OST was pretty decent in creating the mood that I felt they wanted to, but again a better action mix and a better drama mix would have really made a much better anime, don't underestimate the power of music just because it's an anime. I didn't like the OP or ED but that's my personal taste, won't bother saying much about them.. I didn't think they fit the mood of the anime but they certainly fit the cheesyness HAHAHAHA >_>.

Voice Acting was below average, trying hard not to be bias and compare it to a certain similar anime, *cough Death Note cough*, which clearly surpassed it significantly. I think just in general, the Lelouch wasn't too bad, Kallen was okay and then there was no real character on the other voices, it doesn't help that the script sucked and the plot was bad but voice actors always have the chance to carry their anime. Sometimes I watch anime of a standard I wouldn't bother with generally just because it has a good voice actor cast. In this way, they failed to step up to the plate when they were needed most.

Characters: [4/10]

I've explained my issues with the way that these characters were presented, they didn't show us who they were. They relied on well-known cliches or description/small scenes that bypass reason in order to display traits. For example Kallen is overly and irrationally spontaneously violent and strong, her childhood displays nothing about her character but it adds "depth" and Kallen explains to us some strange and boring things about how it affected her and that was that. At other times they just seemed to sink into their role and be nothing more than that, which made them boring. Many characters represented and acted as pawns in certain themes and to create drama/plot, Suzaku is a good example of this and so is Lelouch. These characters serve as nothing more than representations of a cliche, Lelouch's and Suzaku's morals contradict each other in every way. The frustrating irony is that all the characters are buddies yet they constantly undermine eachother in order to create drama. Once you realize that link, predicting this anime becomes insanely simple.. and it's because of the characters, the plot alone is not predictable amazingly, i'd argue it doesn't make much sense either but that's irrelevant for this section!!

Not too much to say really, characters are boring and reveal the plot through the fact that the only drama that ever occurs is through the betrayal of friends to each other by constantly undermining each other and in this way ruining their chances for any success of their own. It's a frustrating and boring process particuarly when it's hard to like any of the characters when there's nothing special or interesting about them. If you're having a hard time keeping up with me but you've watched the anime.. Close your eyes and think about every mainish character, about their morals and nature. Then compare those morals and their nature to the characters they come into conflict with. You'll find the large majority of them are exact opposites =/, anywho 4/10 is justified alone by the fact that they are described not shown + cliche.. ignore my mumbling I guess >_>

I doubt i'll edit this despite how messy this section is.. Code Geass is very well-known and so I doubt this review will serve to do much other than annoy some devoted fans which I really don't care to do, if you're a noob who is wondering whether to watch this or not and somehow you've been drawn to this review, comment me and i'll fix it up.. but to my knowledge you people don't exist hehe...

Overall: [5/10]

5/10 is quite generous but I give it because I made it through till the end and still decided to watch the second one. It was one of the first animes I watched and so I somewhat enjoyed it despite many bursts of outrage at the stupidity of some of Lelouch's dealings. In all honesty it's not terrible, I tried to watch it again so that I could make an awesome review to mock some devoted fans but I dropped it out of boredom and frustration very quickly. Due to that however, i'm prepared to say that just as I once enjoyed Bleach, I enjoyed Code Geass.... I think that enough people have enjoyed it including somewhat myself a year ago, to say that it'd be unfair to slap it for it's many faults and ignore what makes it watchable (fanservice;D). I don't like writing review on overly reviewed anime but it's important to have at least one comprehensive hate review on this anime ;-p... I stand by what I say please comment + check out my other reviews tyty

6.5/10 animation

Panta says...

I wouldn't call Code Geass a genius anime, but then neither would I call Death Note anything close to it either. Neither of these shows raise questions outside of their own material. While they force you to think about their critical moral issues that dot their story, they don't exactly inspire debate about controversial subjects. Both Code Geass and Death Note have their share of fans who will argue to death that the show they liked more is far more intelligent.

Though if we're comparing Light and Lelouch - a silly analysis given their circumstances - then I would claim Lelouch to be more intelligent. Light is simply smart, highly above-average IQ, whereas Lelouch actually does display traits one would associate with a genius. Despite this, however, both characters make mistakes and are thwarted by other intelligent characters. Being a genius doesn't immunise you from failing.

Before you jump on me, I'm saying Lelouch is a genius, not the anime, and I'm merely indicating his level of intelligence through what I saw in the anime.

Death Note certainly had its merits, but it began to show plot-holes and fell apart after the first dozen, or so, episodes. Code Geass, while it did have flaws, showed a consistency right up to a most satisfying conclusion.

Mar 4, 2014
mitch0o says...

I've read a few of your review and I really like your writing style. I also like the fact that you stand for your own opinion while being able to see the good and the bad things in the animes you choose to review.

And I've laugh so much in the first part of this review!

Jul 25, 2012
StevenSAKUJO says...

Hm this review definitely didn't deserve such a long and analytical response, but perhaps your response does. I will acknowledge that some of the points you raised could certainly be interpreted that way, however in regard to Lelouch's "plans" versues the "genius" tactics of L and Light one is explained and one is interpreted. We have been told Lelouch is a genius and his plans work and therefore we must conclude that whatever he did, was also genius. While "genius" may be an overexagguration for Light's manipulation of Ray Penbar and his gf for example, we did get examples of how their intelligence was put to use (L's and Light's). If extremely creative is the word you want to use, that's fine.

There are still a lot of plot holes within the scene I described and while we both could I'm sure, make convient assumptions to aid the plot's cause, it doesn't change the fact that if we don't "help" then the plot has many "mistakes". I felt there were many of these situations but I forgot the specifics and I could be wrong. Most of the tactics that Lelouch uses relied on either the stupidity of Britannia and co or our ignorance to work. Both of which are evident in the scene I chose.

This review as a whole was inspired by my frustrations that people thought Code Geass was a highly intelligent anime, when I watched it, I didn't mind it. However I did not regard it as being anything remotely close to highly intelligent. Death Note is the only other popular anime that I'm sure others have watched which is a good comparison, and one that constantly gets compared to Geass. In all fairness I can't remember how much I remembered when I wrote this review, perhaps the voice actors are good, don't know.

I have no problem with Code Geass as an anime, i'd probably rate 6/10 but I rushed this review. However people who claim School Days and Code Geass are genius animes will forever be my enemies!! With that being said, I don't disagree with anything you've said, I did simplify my issues with the anime and overlooked some more redeeming aspects of the anime too, there's no question that my review is plagued with bias.

Except one thing I have to say, knowledge of grammar is not indicative of intelligence!! Neither is vocabulary or proper articulation!! Especially when it has no relevance to what I am applying my intellect to (The coherency of a storyline).

Well whatever, I long forgot my hatred of Code Geass and it's fans.

Apr 12, 2012
Kokabiel says...

"Code Geass starts off with Lelouch showing his true genius by winning a chess game (????), we didn't see how he won but we know he's smart from this"

Well, it is supposed to be a sign of his intelligence, yes. Although you may have misunderstood- supposedly, it was a set up that is impossible to win. It was blitz chess with a 20 second time limit. He then proceeded to overcome the odds and beat his opponent in just over 8 minutes. That would take some skill, at the very least.

I would like to point out, however, that Code Geass doesn't understand how chess works. That could actually be a legitimate complaint if raised, if a middling one.

"the rebels are like damn who is this kid, oh well lets do it."- Discussed in the show. They are losing badly- the show itself states that at this point they are simply trying to minimize casualties. Exactly what do they have to lose? It would make no sense to be an enemy trap- they're getting crushed already.

"These must be cheap models, fuck my luck seriously... I wouldn't need someone to tell me to shoot left or right if I had one for myself then i'd be god of the world too"

Well... first of all, no. I may be wrong, but I don't see any evidence that the rest of the mech's don't have the same data readouts that Lelouch's Sutherland did. They certainly know how to aim their mechs when they actually get into them, unlike what you're asserting.

No, the reason why Lelouch is giving out orders regarding "Shoot X" is because he has a specific plan that he wants carried out, which requires them to shoot in X direction. If they act on their own, they wouldn't be following the plan anymore, no?

However, even if they didn't have those readouts, one could argue that Villetta was a high-ranking pure blood. Like Jeremiah, she probably has top-of-the-line equipment.

"If this doesn't annoy you then that's cool, but I hope I have shown Code Geass is not so smarts..."

I know, I know. But when you're insulting somebody or something's intelligence, always use proper spelling and grammar. It just gets on my nerves when things like this happen.

"However the difference saying something exists and showing it is what makes the difference between a good story. Death Note is an example of anime that can show it's genius,"

I will be respectful and instead of laughing hysterically, ask you to provide examples of how, say, Light Yagami shows his genius. He was called a genius over and over again, but I don't recall him being anything more than extremely creative. Even if you wish to assert that Lelouch's supposed intelligence is told, and not shown, it was a bad idea to bring up Death Note. Light has that exact problem. I'll give you L though.

"Code Geass is an example of an anime that describes it's genius, in other words nothing "genius" ever happens, and so the anime isn't genius."

Wait, you are claiming that Death Note is an extremely intelligent show? Ok, examples please.

"Just because other characters admire him or praise him, DOES NOT MEAN WE SHOULD. Be a little more critical for fucks sake.."

You do realize that Lelouch ISN'T a particularly praiseworthy character, right? He uses people like pawns, he calls Suzaku saving somebody's life a "tactical victory", he is far more interested in his own goals than anything to do with liberating Japan, etc.

The show isn't supposed to be black and white. You could argue that it fails at this, but you shouldn't argue that Lelouch is supposed to be praiseworthy. He's not.

"Voice Acting was below average, trying hard not to be bias and compare it to a certain similar anime, *cough Death Note cough*"

... Wow. Ok, the Death Note VA work wasn't bad... but it wasn't great either. Everybody agrees that both the sub and dub of Code Geass have stellar voice work. Yes, opinions on VA work is subjective. Which actually makes it even more indicative of quality when fans and haters alike almost always agree that it's well done. Explain the problems you had with the voice acting. How did the voices not have character? Can you name any characters in particular you had a problem with? Are we talking about the dub or the sub?

With all due respect, I'm beginning to get the feeling that you are a Death Note fanboy who just doesn't like the fact that fans of Code Geass claim the show is smarter. You have mentioned the fact that this happens 2-3 times, you are constantly comparing the two shows... (Yes, the plots are similar. I can understand doing it on that front. But comparing the voice work? Really?)

"Sometimes I watch anime of a standard I wouldn't bother with generally just because it has a good voice actor cast."

Sub= Jun Fukuyama, Yukana, Akeno Watanabe, Ami Koshimizu

Dub= Crispin Freeman, Johnny Yong Bosch, Karen Strassman, Yuri Lowenthal

Both the sub and dub have VAs that are agreed to be the best both languages have to offer, and have a massive resume.

I won't argue your point regarding Kallen, less because I concur and more because I would actually have to revisit the Refrain episode to actually discuss the issue.

"The frustrating irony is that all the characters are buddies yet they constantly undermine eachother in order to create drama."

Yes, that is how drama works. Characters create conflict with each other, and often times the largest amount of drama is generated if they are characters that don't really want to be fighting. I'm really not sure why this is a bad thing. It's also worth noting that Suzaku doesn't actually know that Zero is Lelouch, regardless of his suspicions, until the end of the season. So this doesn't even really matter.

Also, that's the only drama created? Really? Cornelia, the actual primary antagonist of Season 1, didn't create any drama at all? Despite desperately attempting to thwart Zero at every opportunity- to the point that C.C. needs to intervene so that he isn't exposed?

"Then compare those morals and their nature to the characters they come into conflict with. You'll find the large majority of them are exact opposites =/,"

Kallen and Suzaku do not have opposite morals. Neither do Cornelia and Lelouch, really. Euphemia and Lelouch definitely don't. Just because they are on opposing sides doesn't mean that they have completely different values.

Also, no, the constant fanservice is one of its BAD traits. ;)

Mar 18, 2012
StevenSAKUJO says...

Woops upset a fanboy... Your bias blinds you

Feb 28, 2012