Sorra's avatar

• Joined Aug 2, 2012
  • 15 / ?

Black Rock Shooter TV

Aug 3, 2012

Watching the first episode of this anime, I was thouroughly confused. There's a normal-looking highschool girl that makes a new friend on the first day of school. A typical scenario. And then there is an older version of the girl and her friend, dressed in gothic lolita, built for fighting type clothes, fighting each other with huge weapons. It switches back and forth a couple times. Some dramatic things happen with the younger girls. When a new character made her appearance, the older, gothic fighter version of them would appear in the other world.

I was pretty sucked into the story, even if I had no idea what was going on. It was basically a high school girls' drama with otherworldly fighting scenes stuck at random points. I liked how you had no idea what was going on. You wanted to keep watching, but didn't know what the heck was happening. The plot was pretty, solid too. It gave sort of a... mystery feel?

I was hoping Saya was actually evil, for a good twist. But, sadly, she wasn't... Disappointing.

I absolutely hated the ending. It was random, confusing, and way too long. And suddenly Saya and Yuu were the only characters that mattered at all. What the hell? Saya has a sad, but random and extremely confusing backstory. Mato was stuck in some random bubble, Kagari had already disappeared into the background, and Yomi didn't matter at all. It was really confusing and annoying.

Plus, one of the themes was "the world is cruel". You can't express that if everything turns out absolutely perfect in the end.

The animation was great! Plenty of colors, nicely done drawings, awsome fight scenes. It was perfect. Plus, I loved the eyes.

The music wasn't.....used too much. There weren't too many songs at all. The opening, of course, sung by Hatsune Miku, was fine, the ending was fine. But there isn't too much else to judge in the music department, sadly.

The voice actors did their jobs well. I really liked Mato's.

The characters had pretty good development, for an eight episode series. I liked Yomi, Kagari, Yuu, and Saya. I liked Mato until the last episode. When she was put into a situation where she could either get brutally beaten or hurt someone else, she chose to get brutally beaten by saying "I don't want to hurt anyone else!" Ugh. So cliche. No human, in that instance would say that. They're trying to make Mato some exrtremely kind person no matter the situation, but that's not what any human would do.

Overall, the ending could've been better, but I enjoyed the series.