Singan's avatar

• ? / M

Kannagi

Jul 23, 2012

STORY & CHARACTERS
Kannagi is a little deceptive series: it may look like fantasy at first yet soon it turns out a harem/moe comedy with insignificant fantasy elements, and well, it isn't nearly as good as some people make it out to be:
- first, the major part of the "plot" is something K-On-like: endless dialogues about nothing at the pace of a crippled snail. I don't know about you but I consider it a boring waste of time;
- second, the "story" at the core is a generic harem with your cookie-cutter boy-protagonist who allows a girl to live at his place because he (SURPRISE!) lives alone, and how that girl and two other girls compete for his attention. That's the base, and the authors apparently try to add some other aspects to make the "story" less typical yet that eventually turns the "plot" into a total illogical mess. First, it starts as fantasy with the heroine taking on a duty to destroy some shadow creatures because it's supposed to be a purpose of a goddess - to protect the land from the negative energy those creatures are made of; then this mission suddenly gets abandoned and she starts rivaling another goddess for popularity, making the show a parody on pop-idols; then this plotline also gets abandoned with no conclusion and the anime shows several comedy fillers; and then out of nowhere it becomes a serious drama. None of those parts are logically connected, and nothing gets solved by the end. Overall, it looks as if the scriptwriter was drunk and mixed scripts for 5 different series;
- third, the only outstanding character is Nagi - the female lead who greatly reminds me of Holo from Spice & Wolf: she's cute, very likeable and lots of fun to follow. The other characters aren't nearly as interesting and memorable since they are only some shallow otaku stereotypes.
All in all, my experience with this "story" & characters might be described as boredom with occasional sparks of entertainment when Nagi comes into play with her tricks & shenanigans. Basically, she's the main attraction of the show and the only aspect I really enjoyed about it.

ANIMATION & SOUND
The animation utilizes fitting color palette and shows nice fluency of motion. In general, it's good but not really something to brag about. As for the sound department, the voice-acting is quite remarkable, especially when it comes to Nagi who speaks in some old dialect: not only it sounds rather amusing but it also might be interesting to Japanese speakers. Sadly, the musical score doesn't match the voice-acting: it's bland and absolutely forgettable except for the ending song.

OVERALL
The series might be enjoyable if you're ok with the extremely slow pace and the numerous plot issues it has (in other words: if you don't care whether your anime makes any common sense). As for me, I personally like the comedy fillers, e.g. the one where Nagi locks herself up in the closet is very funny indeed. However, the rest of the show is pretty boring and nonsensical.