Shadowfang3000's avatar

• Somewhere British...
  • Joined May 2, 2010
  • ? / M

That British Lad Reviews: Slap Up Party: Arad Senki

It was only when I was searching the very darkest orefices of my Grotto that I came across this Anime. A duo of years ago to be exact, based upon a successful game in South Korea, a somewhat successful game in America and a game you can't even play in Britain (A relief or a curse, I do not know). Now, before I spill the gravy, which I actually wished to save for another ocassion (such as losing my virginity), I must unveil my first reactions:

1) Oh boy. It's a Video Game Anime

2) Oh boy. It's got Kenichi Suzumura in it

3) Oh goody! It's actually pretty good.

Well, let me rephrase that: It's better than say, my grimy jockstrap. But it's worse than a less grimy sock that a greasy lad had used to pleasure himself since the Dark Ages.

Story wise, although it's that simple "The hero is looking for someone/something, others join him" affair, the episodic nature of the series for the most part did pull me in. I for one am into that type of stuff, that way I can continue torturing people with my monotonous English accent without worrying about the plot. I can tell you now though, that the last few episodes are so confusing, with random plot twists with no weight behind them being thrown at you every minute, that you'll be ripping at your throat like Jirou Tomitake from Higurashi When they Cry.

The cast is a generic one, you've got the hero with a dark past, the idiot romantic, the tough big breasted girl and the angry loli. Throw in a Priest that likes to molest the main man and dress in very revealing swimsuits then you've got yourself a winner.

Speaking seriously, the cast IS generic, but they did grab my attention somewhat. And Suzumura, being Suzumura and all, does a brilliant job as Cabensis (Capensis?)

Along with your salad, you have the cheesy villains, but luckily there are no creepy moustaches. You have the overly depressing silent guy, his evil girlfriend and his idiot sidekick.

The Animation is pretty average for 2009. I personally like the style myself, and it does stand out as a unique style, but it really is basic. I could re-enact all the scenes with hand puppets and it'll look just as realistic.

In the end, on a serious note, I give this "Anne of May" 5.5/10.

I find that if you just got into anime, or your friend or kids (If you've somehow gotten laid despite being an anime fan) have just begun the journey into the world of Japanese Animation, this is a pretty good place to start. It's got most of the important anime stereotypes present at the very beginning, and it'll hold your hand for the first few steps... Providing you've washed them after touching that damn Jockstrap *shudders*

5.5/10 overall

HoboGirl says...

I have played the game. it's alright a real button masher it's worth checking out if you ever get the chance.

Oct 9, 2011