Scat's avatar

• Joined Jun 14, 2010

Lovely Complex

Jul 9, 2010

Lovely Complex

This anime was by far the best romance anime i've seen. You didn't get swept away into what is the typical love story. It was inventive and it pushed boundaries by saying no to what people think romance is meant to be. The reason i couldn't give it a perfect 10 was because after episode 18 or even around episode 20 the makers probably thought what can we do with the spare 4 or 5 episodes left and the result is that Risa and Otani have a few bumps in their relationship. They dragged on the fact that Otani couldn't see Risa as a girlfriend and so for me the anime was drawn out towards the middle. This shouldn't stop anyone watching this anime though because i would definitely watch it again even if its just to have a break from all that conventional bs they cram down our throats everytime we say we want to watch a good romance.

I loved the story line. The Risa is tall and the Otani is short. Risa and Otani try to help each other find love but what they don't expect is that Risa falls for Otani and he eventually falls for her. I loved the fact that the girl is taller than the guy and that they're friends at first. Even though 24 episodes was too long for the storyline i thought it was better than kare kano where in the first 2 episodes the male lead says i love you. In this anime we actually see how they get to that point and i thought Otani's feelings for Risa were realistic even if they dragged that on. Just to see how things worked our between these two i ended up watching episode after episode and loving the series. Yeah this anime has its bad points but it will get you hooked.

Animation:

I loved the animation. Risa's clothes and her hairstyles are another reason to watch the show. I loved the fact that she didn't always look exactly the same like you get with some anime. My only problem if anything would be that Kohori looked like a girl and even Otani looked almost childish. If anything i would say the female characters looked better in this style of animation than alot of the male ones.

Sound:

When i listen to music sometimes it takes me a while to know if i like it or not. I initially didn't like the first op and ending song but later i found the more i listened the more i liked them. The first opening is really upbeat and fun. The first ending is really nice and slow and i almost looked forward to listening to it after the episode finished. It was a shame they changed the songs later on the series but they weren't very good compared to the earlier songs. I loved Risa's voice and Otani's voice suited him too.

The characters were adorable. I loved the way that Risa and Otani were always fighting and when they became a couple i was glad to see that Otani felt the same way. My biggest issue with the rest of the characters towards the ending was that they were used as a way to fill in 4 or 5 episodes with stuff that really didn't have to be included in the series. Like the story with Nobu moving away to stay with her grandma. Even though it was realistic because in the real world people do get seperated (something which not all anime are quick to point out in romances) the storyline was in alot of ways boring. After watching the series the only characters i really cared about were Risa and Otani so for me the last maybe 2 episodes were pointless.

Overall i would say watch this anime but the series doesn't have the best ending.

8.5/10 characters

Scat says...

Yeah i know what you mean even the anime was like that. I didn't like the ending but then i think how else could they have ended it but atleast the story itself was really funny.

Jul 28, 2010
chibigamer says...

Well to tell you the truth, i have watched the anime, but it was long ago although i just finished the manga, the ending was the same and i'm truly disappointed, its just BYEBYE? Well at least the extras (volume 17) calmed me down a bit.

The rest? I agree with you completly! I recommend it, it is quite fun to watch :D especially the arguing parts ^^

Though i feel kind of sad that i cannot rate it with 5/5 because of the ending!

Now then i gotta go and re watch the anime!

Jul 27, 2010