Sammac's avatar

• ? / ?

Another

Mar 2, 2013

Worth watching.

I was recommended to watch Another because of my huge love for Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni. I have to say that I was not dissapointed. It has the the whole high school setting with a strange curse due to some murder that happened in the past, and of course, the nosey transfer student has to go poking around which in turn sets in motion a chain of grim accidents. It'll have you on the edge of your seat at times shouting at the screen "No! Don't go in there!". All in all, story is relatively solid, entertaining twists here and there make it an interesting watch as you wrack your brain trying to figure out what's causing the deaths (without giving too much away). I wish they did a little more rather than have a lot of "filler" episodes re-itterating supposedly key factors, especially conversations between the protagonist and the mysterious girl with the eyepatch. But, in turn this does set the scene and the show does radiate an extremely well crafted eerie, sppoky atmosphere. And this of course is where the animation comes in. It is obvious that's a modern (ish) anime by the texture detail, especially on the dolls. It can be sharp at times, making it kind of hard to watch, but the actual character animation is flawless and the doll animation just creeped me the f*** out. However I feel what let this anime down the most is the characters themselves. I understand that it's meant to be a gloomy and serious place, but there's just no connection to any of the chracters. When things happen to them you're left feeling "Meh" rather than bawling your eyes out like in Gurrenn Lagann or Code Geass.

So I say, fans of Elfen Lied, Higurashi and other mystery gore animes will find a hidden gem with this one. Story's pretty good, no real emotional attachment with the characters that's kinda needed for a murder mystery, animation top notch and the atmosphere perfect for what it was set out to do.