Sameera's avatar

Sameera

• South Africa
  • Joined Dec 16, 2012

Higurashi...an intriging anime with an interesting name.

The cast of Higurashi before anyone dies

At first I was a bit sceptical when it came to Higurashi after what happened to me after watching Shiki but as an enthusing horror fan I gave it a go and after 7 episodes it was enough to get me hooked.

It starts out pretty simply. A new transfer student comes to a small town and makes some friends who are keeping secrets from him. That seems to be the common beginning to most horror these days. Now everyone tells the hero (In this case its Keichi Maebara) to not question it or just keep him in the dark and ofcourse the hero never listens and next thing you know Keichi gets involved. BAM! (big shocker -_-) and all sorts of crazy things begin to happen to him.

How can you say No to a face like that?

It turns out that one of his friend(s) are involved and in similar fashion to the last few episodes of Another, people are trying to kill each other. YANDERE WARNING! After tons of plot twists he eventually dies but luckily theres a police man (Officer Oishi) who's taking over the anime to solve the case.

To be honest I didn't expect Keichi to get as involved as he did with the mysterous deaths happening in the small village town. Although I honestly should have seen it coming what with he classic horror anime pattern illustarted below :P:

• New guy/girl comes to a town he's never been to has been away from for a long time
  • Makes local friends etc
  • learns of secret/murders
  • Everyone else calls him/her crazy or keep quiet about everything
  • some random guy/police officer gets involved with him/her
  • Someone dies
  • someone else dies
  • more someone elses deaths etc
  • rinse and repeat above
  • murders solved somehow
  • END

But ofcourse it not always that simple.

Higurashi is very interesting so far and hopefully it'll keep surprising me as I continue this anime. All-in-all I'm glad that I finally decided to watch it.