SadisticTendencies's avatar

• Sweden
  • Joined Jan 16, 2011

Je t'aime

Dec 1, 2012

Mamoru Oshii; he's known for dark and thoughtprovoking stories with heavy allegorical undertones and/or comments on humanity's progress for better or for worse. With a grand résumé like that it's no wonder people overlook one of his more recent shorts: a humble twelve-minute story named in a cheesy manner that fits its intentions almost perfectly.

In a world where humanity's been presumably annihilated, a surviving dog wanders aimlessly during the days whilst sleeping in a box during night. Along with memories of human warmth and joy from his past we get to witness a series of encounters he has with a feminine-looking robotic creature who, once again presumably, played her role in the elimination of humans. The dog approcahes her with a ball in hopes of an opportunity to play with a living being once more but she flies away; an occurrence that happens a huge number of times with differently coloured balls each time.

The above is pretty much the story and it's about as simplistic as it is heartbreaking. We're never really told what's happened in the world but nor do we really need anything more than the occasional clue. As far as animation goes this short fares pretty well with picturesque sceneries and the depicition of a world that seems to function more or less fine without humans. In terms of music, the soundtrack is comprised of both beautiful instrumental pieces and increasingly cheesy songs that nonetheless fit the material perfectly. There's no conclusion, nothing particularly thoughtprovoking and in the end you're obviously just supposed to feel sad for the dog and hopefully get a memorable experience. Which is pretty much what you get. This is no masterpiece in any sense of the word, but it won't take much of your time and with that in mind I'd gladly recommend it to anyone.

Funkgun says...

Ah Oshii and his love for the basset hound.

I found this to be the better shorts I have seen in a while.

Nice review.