SANC16

Yuyushiki

22 JUL
2013

Disclaimer

Being by me this won't be short, will jump around a bit for the sake of giving a fitting example where needed and you probably won't agree.

===============================================================

It seems around here that nobody who comments will agree or vice-versa but here I review again anyway. It's yet another one of those anime where the premise and the plot are the same. There's a club, they do stuff. Just like Lucky Star, Genshiken and Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai, and they are entire FRANCHISES. Unlike in Genshiken or BWTGS however in Yuyushiki they can't manage to do the same thing all episode, they switch from one random and pointless conversation to another with Yui's friends all the while acting like this show should be put down as shojo-ai and calling one of the teachers Mom for some reason. One example is their discussion of what water is. (It's a liquid just like milk, it takes the form of its container having none of its own plus it can be drank, I learned that in school but they didn't?)

Before I wasn't keen on watching Lucky Star because it seemed too similar to Azumanga Daioh, it's so hyped and the opening theme and dance in it is gut-wrenchingly annoying* but now I've got even more ammunition. Now I've seen a show that's like it and is painful so I'm hardly going to watch the thing itself. This is basically what this show is; it's Lucky Star without the targeting (in an advertising sense) of otaku, the main reason why Lucky Star got popular (it seems everybody now likes to think they're nerds but do a really poor job of it). Perhaps my reasons are faulty you may argue but I saw that coming. Similarity shouldn't put someone off entirely but it can help; I like Great Teacher Onizuka (apart from the movie and not being a manga fan I find the manga only OK) and I like the Gokusen dramas (the anime is only fair) and in spite of the WITCH-Winx Club arguments I find Winx Club OK though I love WITCH. Not being an existentialist (in my experience everything happens for a reason but so much seems to go wrong eventually that I can only conclude that we're only here to be tested, yes I know you disagree and have some unfunny remark that is either sarcastic or smug to make, this is the internet, huge fortress of nihilism, pretension, Le Vey satanism and argumentum ad absurdum after all) I'm not going to like the Ghost In The Shell movie if I don't like Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex The 2nd Gig (God help me, I was bored one night so I watched 2 episodes on the short lived anime channel Anime Central and it was one of the worst anime I've ever seen). As for the hype well, The Beatles are good enough but not the best band ever, the Large Hadron Collider ultimately didn't do anything in spite of all of the hype, all the Queen visiting Ireland did was cost the state broadcaster 100 jobs (I hate the media for being biased anyway so good enough for them), the theory of evolution is constantly banged on about even though germ theory is why people in the west are much healthier now plus it hasn't been revised so much (the idea that all life began female was scrapped and the timing was also revised though humans being what they are they just can't focus on anything that isn't divisive) and I knew from Obama's inauguration speech that he wouldn't be much different to Bush (war abroad, Republicans calling the shots, American exceptionalism, check, check, check. Can you see now why I'm automatically suspicious of hype? Yes I know I've spent most of the review saying why I won't watch Lucky Star but I'll point it out again; this anime pretty much is Lucky Star. 2 for 1 sale right here guys, I don't have to watch Lucky Star itself because I've seen Yuyushiki and it was a bit crap.

* It's one of those things you stumble across even when you sure as hell aren't looking for it, like yaoi if you do a Google image search of Haruka Minami without specifying that it's minami-ke. Yep, now you can't even look for pictures of a girl without coming across yaoi. Can you understand now why I don't think much (to say the very least) of that fanbase?

Other Anime Reviews by SANC16