RoBorg's avatar

RoBorg

• Joined Jan 9, 2010

Kaichou wa Maid-sama!

Jan 4, 2011

Well, I really enjoyed this one

Story: 8.5/10
At first, when I've seen the title I said "Oh... This should be once again an ecchi anime with busty girls and pheromoned guys"
Lucky me, I was wrong. Well, mostly wrong. While the story is about a maid, there is absolutely no fanservice. And the best thing of it is that while watching this anime, you do not regret it at all. The story may be somehow simple, but it is handled really well. As a viewer, there is no feeling of something missing, just like there is not too much. It's a hard-to-find balance, and here it is achieved.
There is also attention to some minor thing, that are just neglected in many anime I've seen so far.
The fact that it's offered a breeze on the past of the secondary characters as well surely does not hurt.
It's not a 10 only because I reserve the last two points to stories that are something really special, above the excellent.

Animation: 8/10
Well made, not static, not monotonous. Maybe it's just me but it feels somehow above the standard animation quality for anime focused on these themes.
The funny animations every now and then help to create a good amalgam and fit well with the rest.
Can't say it's perfect though, as there weren't any really difficult scenes to create. Still they achieved everything that they actually needed in the making of the animation.

Sound: 6/10
The voices are well made, quite a number of characters, and quite a number of voices. Something that could have been better are the song played within the episodes by the UxMishi, the rock-band in the anime (I'm not speaking about opening and ending). I usually appreciate these songs, but this time they seems like rashly created in a hurry... And this chops away a couple of points from the evaluation...

Characters: 9/10
While the story focuses around two characters, all other side-characters are surely not neglected. Everyone of them has it's own little show-time, could it be 10 minutes, could it be two whole episodes, but anyway every one of these spin-offs is perfectly related to the main story, that sees a development between the two mains even while the side are on the stage.
Good variety of behaviors, especially between male characters, and for once, the main guy is an almighty intelligent and strong, still sensible boy, and not the dumb one that has become quite the standard in many other anime.
Small spoiler coming: a minor thing I regret is that while a few rivals for Usui show up, there are no rivals of weight for Ayuzawa...

Overall: 9/10
A really good work, I cannot say that there is that much originality, but hey... when everything has already been created... Then it's time to take old things and make them better. In each aspect here there is not too much, not too few (just a note on the songs, as stated before). It really caught me, as it just took me two days to watch all the 26 episodes.
Really appreciated!

8.5/10 story
9.5/10 characters

MNKW123 says...

I absolutely loved this anime!!! Some episodes were a bit random but i loved the humor and romance all jumbled into 1. Does anyone know any other anime like this one..sort of like: a tough girl and a guy likes her but she doesnt realize till the end?

Jan 29, 2011
yasmin09 says...

I'm not sure how the animation for this series was above the standard. The character design was lovely but the background was atrocious. It looked to me like a non-skilled 5-year-old painted it in 2 minutes. The background was consistently subpar. I do agree with you that the story turned out to be much better than expected. It wasn't as generic as I thought it would be and I quite enjoyed it ^^

Jan 7, 2011