RisikaFox's avatar

• Joined Dec 18, 2010

Xam'd: Lost Memories

Dec 27, 2012

Secret Santa 2012 Review

Xam'd: Lost Memories is an anime I've heard of before, but honestly knew nothing about- which was nice. There's just something diffeabout going into a new series with absolutely no expectations or preconceptions. Now, on to the review!

Story: The plot of Xam'd is fairly simple, although not always easy to follow. Akiyuki, the main character, is your average school boy until 'something weird' happens and he's forced to cope with both the changes within himself and in the world around him. There really aren't any shocking twists to be found, but by the end of the series most of the loose strings have been tied up aside from a few unanswered questions that may have been left that way on purpose, as it leaves some things up to the viewer's interpretation.

Animation: Nothing groundbreaking in this category either. The color palette was pleasant, and the lines are clean even during fight scenes. And while you won't find any outrageously 'unique' looking characters in Xam'd, they all have distinct and varied designs.

Sound: I watched the show dubbed, so I can't comment on the Japanese seiyuu, but the English cast did a nice job. It certainly wasn't spectacular, but most of the voices appeared to match the characters  well. I really enjoyed the opening theme, Shut Up And Explode by Boom Boom Satellites. Now, I'm the type of person who listens to an opening/ending once and then skips it for the rest of the episodes when marathoning a show, but this track is just so groovy and catchy that I had to listen to it all 26 times, haha.

Characters: This is the one section I honestly have a hard time reviewing, simply because even when the characters are incredibly flat and predictable, I get caught up in their story anyway and it just doesn't seem to matter. What I really liked about the characters in Xam'd though is that they were all very human. They all had faults and strengths, motivation and a story. There are quite a few main and secondary characters, but they all get fleshed out nicely during the course of the series.

Overall: Despite the sci-fi weirdness and lack of pizazz, Xam'd: Lost Memories is a show I would highly recommend, mainly because of the relateable characters and heartwarming story.