RingoStarr1991's avatar

RingoStarr1991

• Southern California
  • Joined Aug 14, 2011

***This is a somewhat spoiler free review. I tried my best to word things w/o spoiling anything.***

I recently put up my overall thoughts of this show on my blog. While my posts there are mostly opinionated, I try to step back when writing reviews so that only the facts come through on my reviews with little of my own preferences affecting the overall score. If you would like to see my orginal post of this show, click anywhere on this text and it will send you to my post on my blog.

Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru! is an anime that aired this past season and while the initial premise really pulled me in, its inability to provide thought provoking plot twists and just a sheer amount of unnecessary content really dragged it down.

Story: 3/10

So like I stated above this show actually had a pretty interesting concept. The show revolves around Shougo who is to become the head of his deceased father’s company. In order to do so however he must complete a guideline set forth by his father. This guideline demands that Shougo must attend a certain high school, attract a mate, and marry before taking his spot as the head of the company (what an awesome dad). I didn't have a problem with this premise at all; in fact I thought just by hearing that first it could be an interesting harem. The story’s conflict arises early on when someone begins posting as his ill legitimate sister which could affect his position with the company. This is again another great idea to make the story more interesting. Where it goes wrong however is when it accuses every female character of being his sister. It’s also very easy (at least for me) to come up with a reasonable guess on who the real sister is very early on in the series. I guess where the series goes wrong the most is how predicable it is. There are really no interesting twists or misdirection that make me think, “Wow didn’t see that coming”. Another flaw in the overall story is how much pointless content is included in the middle episodes. I kind of feel like there was a struggle to make episodes the required length in episodes five through nine before the final “twist” was introduced. The show leads up to the final episode and in all honesty I felt like it was a letdown. Overall the story had a chance to bring something new to the harem genera but it ended up not hitting its intended marks.

Animation: 8.5/10

One great thing about this show is the stunning animation. Everything appears in very light colors and the use of reflections is done very well. The character models are all pretty detailed for both the main cast and some of the extras in the backgrounds. The scenery is colored much of the same way helping to keep the mood of the current scene. The main settings for the show, the school, Shougo’s room, and the café are all very detailed each time we are present.

Sound: 7/10

I am usually very picky on sound since most of my spare time is spent recording music or just listening to different types of music. The music of this anime while not amazing was still pretty good and helped set up some interesting scenes. The voice actors also did a pretty good job matching the personalities of their characters.

Characters: 6.3/10

This category is hard to score because while some of the characters did grow on me, every one of them are pretty generic. You have your elitist, airhead, tomboy, and cosplayer. We have all seen these roles countless times in other anime so why should we bother with these empty shells? That’s what I first thought when introduced to each character but to my surprise I actually grew to like some of these characters due to some character development. While some of them where pretty much cast aside without any development (Mana) most of the cast received one to three episode character arcs that pretty much set up why they fall for Shougo. The show should have done a better job fully utilizing the cast but overall they did a good enough job.

Overall: 6.2/10

While it isn’t a masterpiece, if you can look past some boring parts that lead to nowhere, predictable plot twists, and a forgettable anticlimactic ending, this show may offer you something worthwhile. There are some really good, sweet moments and some great animation and sound to be found here.

Enjoyment: 5.8/10

Thanks for reading my review! If you liked my writing style, would like to see some other reviews, or just want to talk, please stop by my page!

Sincerely,
Awesome Drummer

8.5/10 animation
6.3/10 characters
6.2/10 overall

Madoka says...

i would probably up its story a little more, it held my attention a little in the early episodes, it was only the fact every girl (except Mana) was pinned as his sister which made it boring, it felt like we went from interesting plot which could turn things ugly to a lets just accuse anyone and everyone till we are done with em all.

The ending was slightly lame, he + his sis get the typical happy ever after as if nothing ever happened (im ok with this, its normal end but works well), his sister was predictable from early in the anime anyways. but the fact it choose the boring harem end which... doesn't end anything, at least coulda revealed the 'guy' who helped him was a girl... might of at least made a funny end scene joke from it or something.

Anyways yeah pretty accurate review in all, the anime isn't really so much as 'bad' in my eyes its just let down by a few things with the writers choices, c'mon it didn't even say what happened to sarie (or whatever she was called) or anyone else plotting behind his back, one vanished and then it ends, ohwell, ok anime if you like harems with some question behind em, average score i guess.

Oct 24, 2012
Symmetrical says...

I loved this show so much! I thought the story was fantastic until the ending...what a DAMN LETDOWN! That ending hurt almost as much as Akane-Iro's. Disappointing that there was no real conclusion and it was a generic ecchi/harem ending. :( It honestly couldnt have been that difficult to make a decent ending with a love choice.

Oct 18, 2012
thomiozo says...

*small spoiler*

so true, in the last 8 episodes they went overkill,Mana Tendou was the only woman near him who wasn't a lying two-faced person also, way to much dryhumping even for a harem.

Oct 6, 2012
RingoStarr1991 says...

I feel the same way about watching slice of life type shows; it is best just to turn your brain off and enjoy but the reason I docked it so many points was because it was so predicable and I pretty much guessed who the sister was around episode 4 so I began to lose interest quite fast.

Sep 30, 2012
ookamiryu says...

I was going to write a review but you pretty much summed it up. I disagree with the Story section though, it managed to keep me entertained quite easily but that's just because I turn my brain off when watching your average harem show #4959. Great review indeed.

Sep 30, 2012