Rickoon's avatar

Rickoon

• Seattle, WA
  • Joined Sep 9, 2009

A Closed Space

The tailwind created from the hype of this show finally pushed me to watch it. Knowing that hype can destroy a series I took my time, even though it's short. Many treasures awaited me within each episode, but I found a lot more than previously advertised.

The plot moves without jarring the viewer, but feels half realized after the show's sudden conclusion. The fasinating basis slowly begins to erode as the plot progresses. In the beginning a seperation between reality, fantasy, and a third re-made reality poses great potential but falls flat because of neglect; all of the potential metaphors, psychological references, and emotionally charged symbols all disipate for the sake of simplier ventures. The narration, performed by the character Kyon, provides the most depth and interest of any portion of the plot. What he says, doesn't say, and implies develops his character while executing most of the successful plot devices. Kyon, the narrator, is fully realized, but most of the other characters allude to great potential while staying at arms length. Most of the characters are great additions to the show, but feel shallow when compared to Kyon.

Animation looks great throughout the entire series and even improves for certain episodes--the band episode stands out. I might even claim that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya presents some of the best animation I've seen on a series. Sound stands out amongst the categories as well because of some catchy tunes and great voice overs. As usual, I took a gamble on thd dubs and wasn't disappointed; most of the voice actors fit fluidly.

Besides my elevated interest in the character Kyon, including his stash of pictures, I found the series a little fluffier than anticipated. Overall, I would suggest the series to almost anyone because of the lovable characters, and smooth presentation.

8.5/10 animation