Rickoon's avatar

• Joined Sep 9, 2009

Hunter x Hunter

Oct 16, 2009

Hunting for Hunters

I started HunterxHunter years ago but never had an opportunity to finish until recently. The plot, even years ago, didn't strike me as avant-garde, but brought enough to the shounen table to garner my interest; a story about a boy going on a quest to find an absent father doesn't appear internally striking, but where the story falls short strong characters assist to bridge the gap. The four main characters deliver a variety of angles that almost any viewer can appreciate: The simple-minded hero, lonely assasin, vengeful 'nice guy', and a less-than-mature adult. Not only does the main cast perform well but also many supporting roles; though the sheer number becomes detrimental to development before the end of the series.

All audible portions of the series execute without any severe hiccups. Many of the music tracks are catchy and accurate to the emotions presented, and the only complaint I'd have would linger in the lack of quantity. All voice work portrays the characters well and each has an abiltiy to grow on a viewer quickly. Sadly, the animation looks a bit aged and even falls behind other series of the era. It shouldn't pose a problem for most viewers as it appears presentable and enjoyable after few episodes of adjustment.

Though my interest dropped towards the end of the series because the character influx the show in its entirety stays enjoyable and a worthwhile watch for any shounen fan even as the shadows of newer series begin to cover it up.

Note: Any true shounen fan should at least watch to episode 41--the pinnacle of the show in my opinion.

6.5/10 story
6.5/10 animation
7.5/10 sound

KiraRin says...

Hi,

Just wondered if you have watched the OVAs too? They are also highly enjoyable. Your thoughts pretty much sum up what I think, which is saying something as I usually detest shounen anime!

H.