ReiLovesLennon9's avatar

• New Jersey
  • Joined Jun 4, 2010

Air Gear

Nov 14, 2012

I started off really hating this anime and convinced myself that it was gonna be just anoter ecchi harem annoyance. I was wrong....

Story: 7/10

Admittedly there were some parts of this anime where the story just seemed way too complicated. They never really explain what a "road" is, what a "fang" is or what a "regalia" is and that really bothered me. I would've liked to know. Otherwise I like how *SPOILER* Ringo's crush on Ikki was downplayed and unlike most ecchi girls with crushes she wasn't obsessed with  Ikki but stood on her own while having feelings for him. Also, the AT concept was pretty cool and I loved all the different gangs.

Animation: 8/10

It was decidedly average, but I didn't think it was bad. The color scheme and design of the characters was really cool...they were all really unique and the designs fit their personalities. Also, the backgounds were beautiful and brought the series to life.

Sound: 10/10

The soundtrack to this anime was brilliant. I have never heard an anime series use Japanese rap or techno before and I was really impressed with it. Also, the voices were really good and fit all the characters (Onigiri and Buccha's voices were perfect).

Characters: 7/10

A lot of people get down on these characters, especially the girls, but I thought they were all pretty strong and independent females, which you don't see in an a harem or shounen anime too much. They weren't over the top strong but they all were an integral part of the plot in their own ways and really, each female stood out. The males were pretty cool too but in my opinion the girls MADE this anime.

Overall: 7/10

This isn't my favorite by any means, but it helped me learn to appreciate action and shounen anime more than I did previously.