RedCrossRobbery's avatar

• Chicago
  • Joined Nov 3, 2008

Welcome to the NHK!

Jan 18, 2012

Regardless of your opinion to the series, Welcome to the NHK should be appreciated as a well-made anime solely for the fact that it encompasses so many different genres. You can find a little bit of everything in the series, which is what any great show should be looking for.

Story: 6 out of 10
Welcome to the NHK jumps back and forth between focuses. At times you think it is a series about a Hikikimori, then you think it's about his dream to be a video game designer, then you think it's about his relationship with Misaki. The fact of the matter is, the storyline is all and none of these if you will. Now, now, allow me to explain. All of those elements, and many more play out through arcs in the series, but the bottom line, is when all is said and done, the series doesn't have much of an actual storyline. It's difficult to explain without giving away spoilers, but NHK's final storyline is nearly nothing. Just a slice-of-life for a depressed, young adult.

Animation: 8 out of 10
Animation for NHK is beautiful, and fluid, but it can also be quite patchy. There are budget shots to be seen every now and then, and sometimes the characters anatomy can be really fudged up. Outside of that though, the animation is well above-average.

Sound: 7 out of 10
I don't usually do this, but I watched the series dubbed, and against my better judgment, I will admit that well freaking done guys. One of the better dubs out there. I don't believe anyones voice but Nanako's obviously fake accent through me off. Toss in some catchy opening and ending songs, and we have one hell of a sound department.

Characters: 10 out of 10
Easily the strongest point of the series, this is strictly a character piece series. Whether is be the innocent, and mysterious qualities of Misaki, the brave, and passionate qualities of Yamazaki, or even the at times calm, and then at times schizophrenic qualities of Sato. Even the minor characters are written wonderfully. Senpai is beautiful, but fractured, and the episodes with her on the island were some of my absolute favorites in the entire series. A second wonderful character is Megumi, who appears calm at first, but we quickly learn of all the weight she has on her shoulders.
The storyline spans several years, as as such, the characters not only age physically, but mentally they are constantly growing. It's a real treat watching them overcome all of their faults, and find some sort of happiness in that crazy thing we call life.

Overall: 8 out of 10
Overall, Welcome to the NHK was peculiar, and borderline schizophrenic at times, but the great moments are truly great, and make up for some of the slower moments in the series. It's confusing, NHK, because at first I had thought I was watching a comedy, and then I thought I was watching a show about 2 friends making a living together. Near the end, I thought I was watching a tragedy. However, like I mentioned earlier, it was all and none of these elements, and it made for a truly enjoyable watch.