RedCrossRobbery

Freezing

15 JUL
2011

Oh Freezing, you remind me of a rollercoaster, that takes you high up into the sky, but only lets you fall a little bit before climbing back up. That is the feeling I got watching this; I would really get into it, just to be let down by a bland follow-through.

Story: 6 out of 10
Story was not the strongest point of this anime. "alien-like creatures are taking over the world, busty females must fight them, all males have to be annoying weaklings, who have the POWER OF VOICE!" These types of animes are all over the place, and for that, I felt cheated.
What kept me into the series was the incredible feeling of despair the series presented at every turn. This was a series where every character tried to hide the fact that the victories they had against the Nova (bad guys) were usually only by some freak luck or chance. This made you root for the humans, because this wasn't an equal battle of man vs aliens. This felt like an actual fight for humanity, and to that, I thought they did well.
The only real complaint besides a cookie-cutter storyline, was something that personally INFURATES me in anime. I personally hate when animes create "terms" to explain everything that sound "cool" and to some degree, try to sound new and unique. "The VOLT ACTIVATION weapons are used by PANDORAS and LIMITERS so they can fight the NOVAS, so they can save the GENETICS and protect the HOLY CORPSE so they can one day become CHEVELIERS!" It's just asinine and insulting to me as an intelligent viewer.
In retrospect of writing this, I also should mention the ecchi... The ecchi in this series has 3 major problems I wish to address.
1. Some people are pushed away by ecchi. Let me tell you that as a person who has watched alot of ecchi comedies, the ecchi is NOT that bad, however, for those of you that DO like ecchi.
2. The ecchi in this is not the best. The female anatomy is not very flattering in this series, and it revolves more around a "shirt cut off while fighting EVERYTIME" sort of ecchi, instead of anything actually attractive or funny.
3. At first, the ecchi was used very tastefully. You would only see females naked when they were sitting in a shower, contemplating some terrible old event. It was almost fitting. Then came the "show tits every time someone gets in a fight" and it gets kind of tacky.

Animation: 8 out of 10
Animation was fairly strong for the series as a whole, but that is highly dependent on Nova designs and fighting. The character design itself is fairly "safe" and bland, and the backgrounds are wholly dismissible.

Sound: 5 out of 10
Sound was (as most of the animes i've seen recently unfortunately) just bland. It was full of dark, ominous tones, and honestly I barely even was aware of it. The Opening and Ending songs were similar in being average, and the voice acting was average. just average sound department.

Characters: 5 out of 10
Characters was the biggest let down for me. Satella was SUCH a great character as the series progresses. You learn about how hard her childhood life was, and why she came to be the way she is today, and you begin to truly love her when she grows from untouchable to timid, and almost cute. However, every single other character is horrible. Yakuza was the archetype ecchi protagonist. Whiney, weak, but strong with his words. He is a lazy character, and not fun. Every female in the entire series was bitchy, and just HAD to fight Satella for whatever stupid reason, one after another. It got tiring, and made the series feel much less linear, and much more so episodic. Rana was a fun, cute character, although she became a “harem” stereotype almost instantly.

Overall: 7 out of 10
Overall, Freezing is an average title, and if it carried on the way it was for more than 12 episodes, I may have dropped it. As it is, I enjoyed the series for the small amount of time it took to watch, and I think I may even hop on board for a second season if it ever comes out.

Other Anime Reviews by RedCrossRobbery

overall score: 7.5/10

Freezing user review by RedCrossRobbery

Freezing

Recent Anime Reviews by RedCrossRobbery

comments

SoulE avatar SoulE
Jan 2, 2013