How I rate my anime
I saw this idea on someone's blog that everyone should have firm guidelines on judging the anime. I totally agree, and here's my exemplified list:
- ★★★★★ (10/10) — an example of perfection, I can find no flaws in this anime, and I'd watch it over and over again if I had no other hobbies. For now this mark is only given to DBZ and One Piece, and also to Grenadier, because it's awesome and sweet (says a lot coming from a guy who likes much rougher stuff).
- ★★★★½ (9/10) — an absolutely wonderful shows that got some really minor points that left me feeling weird for a second. Still highly recommended to anyone. Examples: HxH, YYH, TTGL, Kekkaishi, Trigun.
- ★★★★ (8/10) — an otherwise perfect show that had some significant bits incompatible with my tastes. I'd still rewatch it, though, in a good company. Examples: Airmaster (dislike the apathic main hero), Naruto (fillers!), Kenshin (dislike strong guys pretending to be weak), Shinobuden (just silly), Berserk (hate the ending).
- ★★★½ (7/10) — one of the main ideas of the anime does not sit well with me. I'd recommend it to people who have different views on life. Examples: Gungrave (rrrevenge!), Soul Eater (damn Excalibur humour plus a stupid anime-only ending), Death Note (all smart guys are jerks, and still outsmarted in the end), Hajime no Ippo (too much sport).
- ★★★ (6/10) — either major flaws spotted or just the whole thing was not exciting enough to move me. I was yawning a bit through the thing. Examples: DBGT (plot holes), Hokuto no Ken (very old school, repeating plot patterns), Onizuka (main hero's too much of a loser), Black Lagoon (trash).
- ★★½ (5/10) — I don't think I wasted my time on watching this. I think. Probably. I can write a long negative review to prove it! Examples: FMA, DMC, TWHE, Gunslinger Girl.
- ★★ (4/10) — I really should've been doing other stuff instead of watching this. Examples: Spiral, RahXephon, Shiro no Kiseki.
- ★½ (3/10) — crap, but with redeeming features that gave me a giggle or another bit of enjoyment for a while. Examples: FLCL (guessing references was ok), Saint Beast (well-done, but I hate tenshi-ai).
- ★ (2/10) — crap, but somehow not total crap. Examples: Shadow Skill, Laputa, Cowboy Bebop movie.
- ½ (1/10) — utter crap. Examples: One Piece movie 6 (yes, it is that bad), Ninja Scroll movie (bloodbath & rape).
Hope you liked reading this, and also hope this will help you understand my rankings and my recommendations. There are a lot of people out there who will disagree, but hey, it wouldn't be fun living here if we were all the same!