Proxy11's avatar

Proxy11

• Louisville, KY
  • Joined Jul 5, 2011

These are my Reviews if they're helpful great, if not, that's great too. I am not adept at writing/typing this is merely a contribution to the site.

Story/Plot
5 Centimeters per Second is quite simply the story of time.  It's about two people separated by time and distance, how life slowly but inevitably divides them down different paths. Their is no actual plot involved we just follow the lead character from his childhood into adulthood. He meets a girl, they become close friends and inevitably move away from each other. He continues to keep contact but the distance between them becomes too great. The full range of emotions are displayed through this bitter-sweet but simple story making it easy to relate to for anyone. I felt the third arc was slightly rushed but it had no negative effect on the full experience for me.

Animation/Art
Very high detail to environments and the excellent use of lighting makes this one of the most beautiful works I've ever seen. I'm particularly glad it's not another anime of it's genre with Clannad style character designs. Their is very few negative things I could say about it. One of which being as the movie progresses all the "Awe" moments show less and less. This isn't a bad thing because it's still beautiful but with much more detail in the beginning.

Music/Dub

Their is only three characters, none of them have much development. It's intended this way so anyone from any walk of life can relate to the story being told. The emotions they display are pretty surreal and one's that you can relate to, that's great coming from a Anime. I am impressed because no show thus far seems as genuine as this does in my opinion. Well done characters mirrored from real world relationships.

Enjoyment

Final Thought
As you see from my review the focus of 5 Centimeters per Second is in the human element, how it connects with you personally and emotionally. This will determine it's impact and your enjoyment. No one can deny sharing some of the experiences portrayed here in their own life and in their own way. That simple truth told in the most simple way. Watch it. Live it.