ProjectBlackRai's avatar

• Joined Nov 3, 2010

Kobato.

Dec 19, 2011

Hello, again, all.

This time it's a review about Kobato. All-in-all, Kobato is one of those surprising animes you never thought would be as good as it is. Created by Clamp, the same ones who did "Chobits," you can see their animation style throughout the series. For those of you that have seen Chobits, you'll recognize some familar scenery and faces, though one anime has nothing to do with the other. I digest, however. Let's get down to it, shall we?

The story was well thought out and progressive. Sent to Earth to fulfill a task, Kobato is charged with mending the hearts of enough people and collecting enough "kompeto" in her jar to fill it, thereby having her wish granted. Throughout her journey, she is beset by numerous challenges and hardships but smiles throughout them and thinks only of others' happiness. That being said, I don't care how much of a "badass" you think you are, this will have you either crying or on the verge of tears several times over.

As I mentioned previously, the animation style is the same as Chobits. You see Clamp's style throughout the series. There are some things that could have been done better but the animation is, overall, excellent. It's expressive, purposeful and artistic. You see some familiar faces and places since it's easier for them to reuse what they have done already but that's all ancillary stuff.

This is the one catagory where I can find no fault. The music was superb is every respect and fit perfectly. Happy when it needed to be, sad when it needed to be. There was nothing unnecessary. If you have the opportunity to get the soundtrack, I would suggest you do so.

The characters were near-perfect for their roles. For what they were, as far as the story was concerned, each filled his, or her, role as they should have. For instance, the heroine of the story actually acted the way she was supposed to. There was none of that awkward lovey stuff from the main male character and the "big sister" role of the female secondary characters was portrayed well.

Overall

My overall score was calculated by adding all the sub-scores and dividing by the number of sub-score catagories (4).

My advice? Watch it. Unless you don't like the genre, in which case I can hardly fault you for not watching it. But you should watch it. ... Are you watching it yet?

apoc9 says...

Read Kobato manga It's better than anime. It explains story behind Kobato, Ioryogi.

Dec 19, 2011