PoeticHorrorShow5287's avatar

• Joined Oct 30, 2013

Another

Nov 3, 2013

Mild spoilers ensue:

Well, it wasn't bad...a lot of the time, I actually found it to be quite interesting. I think the plot just tried to overdo itself. Personally, I would have loved for it to have had more to do with the dolls...they were a creepy, albeit, pointless add on. For a horror show, it wasn't scary, though it did have a few cool death scenes and some gore which was helpful. The ending when chaos started to ensue was also pretty cool. I just didn't like the fact that Mikami Mei knew the whole time and just decided not to tell anyone. It's like...why? Was it just to drag the story out? Its an ignorant "horror movie" tactic and it hardly ever works. This show seemed to borrow a whole bunch of other movie plots (i.e. The Sixth Sense, Final Destination, Every cursed high school movie etc) and try to evolve them into something more...it felt like too many ideas rolled into one. The overall reveal was kinda cool and unexpected, but the fumbling way we got there was the problem.

I know most of my review has been focused on what I didn't like, but what I did like were some of the earlier episodes. Though this show started slow, the atmosphere was creepy and the whodunit plot line had me hooked early on, so it wasn't all bad. I loved Akizawa she was badass, but most of the other characters including the protagonist were stock...also they never explained all these heart problems and lung problems the characters had...was it just to move the plot along?

Overall, it was cool. The "Final Destination" style deaths were interesting and some of the reveals (Including the big reveal) were pretty awesome...but the story got muddled along the way so when these reveals did come, they didn't have the shock value OMG I wanted, and they felt contrived a bit. Also useless sub plots (I.e. the dolls and Sakikabara's dad, the mom's death etc) were useless and unexplained. The deaths from 26 years prior to now that were ONLY explained and not shown were confusing most of the time since they tended to be car accidents or falling. The music was good, but some of the voice acting was sub par.

Verdict - Above average, but barely. 5.5/10.

Watched - subbed