PlatapusSpasmAK47

Hotarubi no Mori e

20 MAY
2012

The wonderful aspect of this story is the simplicity of it. In the short 45 minutes the story is fully developed, and since it is so simple, it is wonderfully paced. It isn't drawn out, but it has enough time to accomplish what it sets out to do. It has a predictable ending, but that doesn't take away from the plot at all, in fact, I actually appreciated the predictablilty. It didn't take any unecessary twists so the simplicity was preserved, and therefore the impact of the story hit harder.

The story actually almost feels like a long episode of Natsume Yujincho, which isn't all that surprising when you look at the staff behind this movie. But because of that it has a wonderful tranquil atmosphere that completely immerses you into the world and the story of the film.

Animation:

It was gorgeous. I have seen better animation, but for all purposes, for the tranquil atmosphere of this movie, it fit wonderfully. The slightly washed out colors, the gorgeous landscape, it was all animated perfectly. And since most of the story is spent in a forest, the landscape is consistantly beautiful and consistant.

Sound:

While no individual tracks made me gasp in awe, it set out to do what it needed. The soft piano music definitely helped established the calm atmosphere of the movie, and it was enjoyable to listen to as a whole.

This was the most enjoyable aspect of the movie. Within the 45 minutes, there is a lot of character development. As a girl, the main character is adorable, and manages to be cute without falling into a common archetype. She is delightfully inquisitive, and adorably absent minded. You see through the flash back of how her relationships buds with the youkai, and it is done subtly. Nothing is forced into your face, the incredible acting portrays everything you need to know without being directly said. The chemistry between the main characters is awesome. Their interactions feel completely natural, and because the show is slow paced, not forced at all.

Overall:

Though the plot is simple, the show is executed very well. Despite its length the film undergoes all it needs to; character development, believable story. It's simplicity is actually what makes it so enjoyable, and it's slow pace further contributes to a peaceful atmosphere that entices its viewers.

Other Anime Reviews by PlatapusSpasmAK47

overall score: 8.5/10

Project ARMS user review by PlatapusSpasmAK47

Project ARMS

• Overall 8.5/10

comments

smilieface23 avatar smilieface23
Jun 1, 2012

"It has a predictable ending, but that doesn't take away from the plot at all, in fact, I actually appreciated the predictablilty."

I must say, I'm not really sure whether I found the ending to be predictable or not.  When I watched it, I was shocked and a little frustrated by the ending.  But, after watching it a second time I began to wonder if that was because I was expecting a Walt Disney happily-ever-after moment, when I know that this is not the common ending in Japanese films.  Once I realized that, your next sentence made even more sense.

"It didn't take any unecessary twists so the simplicity was preserved, and therefore the impact of the story hit harder."

It's true, the point of the story comes across loud and clear making a strong impact on your heart, whether you're expecting it or not.  The first time I saw it, I wasn't expecting it and missed some of the beauty, but it still hit hard.  The second time I watched it, I really got it and was glad that beauty and simplicity was maintained to really emphasize the point of the story - a tale about a little girl growing up, experiencing her first love and heartbreak, and in a way, having to say goodbye to childhood.  You take all of the other stuff away, and that's really what it's about, it's about a little girl growing up and reminising on something she's had to let go.

Anyways, great review!  It's a great show!