PinkyIvan's avatar

• Joined Apr 8, 2012

Gunbuster

Jan 8, 2013

The Story

It was boring and I was scrolling through anime list and I stumbled upon Gunbuster, a quite anime made by the craziest studio of them all, Gainax so I had to pick it up. What can this be compared to and what is it like? It feels like Tengen Topa Gurren Langann (64.3% chance I spelled it wrong) thrown back into the 80s. The story is quite simple yet really epic, the protagonist is a crew member of a space ship sent deep into space to fight…. You guessed it space monsters. Simple and at the same time somehow refreshing since it is very different from the anime we see today. The story is straightforward, following the protagonist training and going through problems such as low self-esteem and loss of loved ones. While it didn’t have any major plot twists, any deeper meaning or an extremely thrilling plot it was still fun and enjoyable for what it is.

The Animation

Surprisingly I found the animation to be very good considering how old it is. Heck it is better than 90% of recent anime, at least in terms of having its own style and some kick-ass action. The space monsters look great, with the mecha design being interesting and Gunbuster (the super-mecha) looking awesome.

The Music

Just like the animation, the music was great. The opening was good and the background music being super awesome. The voice acting was okay, nothing too memorable but still on a solid level.

The Characters

The part I feel is the weakest, though it wasn’t bad. The protagonist is a young girl with as I’ve mentioned before self-esteem problems. Other characters are a headstrong Russian redhead, kind and worried blue hair sister (with a pinch of yuri flavor) and most importantly, Coach who looks and acts like Wolfwood from Trigun, which makes him a cool dude.

The Conclusion

While wondering what to watch next and craving for some space mecha battles feel free to watch Gunbuster, since it is only 6 episodes of good comedy, action and censure free ecchi.

7.5/10 sound
6.5/10 characters

herano says...

Yep, agree for the most part, though I think the way they handeled time-travel was pretty original:). Not the greatest anime ever, but very entertaining non the less.

Jan 8, 2013