PinkyIvan's avatar

• Joined Apr 8, 2012

Angel Beats!

Dec 5, 2012

The Story

Very often some anime are endlessly hyped as being the most dramatic, sweetest, romantic, philosophical and whatnot. Angel Beats is one of those so I decided to check it out and see for myself. I have to say it was underwhelming. The story revolves around a bunch of 15 year olds who have died or are in a comma. And fuck me they ended up in a fucking high school afterlife thing. In it they try to kill the student council president, some angel program... stoic loli. And do the most reasonable thing, which is of course defeat God. I don't want to enter ontological ramblings about God being absolute and stuff since these kids haven't taken their philosophy classes yet. Anyway the protagonist who is a standard harem lead good guy Greg who helps everyone around him falls in love with the stoic loli and some stuff happens. Now let's get back at what this anime should have been good at, being dramatic. To keep it simple it's not really very dramatic. Some scenes were tense but most of the them were ruined by love and friendship wins everything talk. When compared to other anime that stand for being emotional Angel Beats just doesn't measure up (things that come to mind are Elfen Lied, Bokurano and 5 Centimetres Per Second).And I have to point out that it's hard to care for what happens if everyone is immortal. Also Angel Beats is also extremely unoriginal, taking huge chunks of story as well as some well known scenes from Clannad (graduation) and Haruhi (high school concert) .

The Animation

Some things don't need much explanation, in this case it's that the animation was excellent technically speaking. On the other hand I judge the style of the show under animation and it was boring and generic. Just another school life/slice of life comedy I've seen a million times. The action was generally good but nothing special. It wasn't particularly dynamic but it was fluid and smooth. And I have to point out that it's hard to care for what happens if everyone is immortal.

The Sound

Like the animation it was okay, the opening was fine but not interesting enough for me to listen to it more than twice. There was a song played on the concert scene which was better than the rest of the OST but still not memorable for me to remember it for longer than a few weeks.

The Characters

Just like many other anime that were made recently this one suffers from a boring no development male protagonist. I ask myself what the hell has happened to Spike, Vash and Light? Why would a boring teenager be more interesting than a badass protagonist with his own interesting agenda and philosophy? But enough of my rants so let's move on to the other characters. One thing that this anime does right is having interesting minor characters like TK for example. Also the stoic loli was interesting enough, but that's just because it's hard to make a bad stoic.

The Conclusion

While Angel Beats isn't particularly bad it's not very good either. Every situation that could have been exceptional, shocking or simply very tense was hidden in the safety of cliché. All things said if you haven't seen many anime or you enjoy school life this is a good watch but if you are looking for something new or serious you can skip this title without any regret.

7.2/10 animation
6.5/10 sound
5.7/10 overall

SadisticTendencies says...

This is actually one of the most fair reviews for Angel Beats! I've seen. Like most of these "generic emotional fluff show thingies" this show is usually either praised or completely bashed; none of which is appropriate in my own opinion. Well done!

Dec 5, 2012