PinkFlowers82's avatar

PinkFlowers82

• Right Behind You. . . Poke* Poke*
  • Joined Apr 16, 2011

I did not expect to become emotionally invested, crying actual tears, in a "mecchi" show that featured copious amount of under boob a giant battleship with a hard on. . .

But, somehow or another Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann turned out to be so much more than that and won me over with its humanity and "Fighting Spirit."

This is a very character driven show. The writer of this story does a great job in character development and believability. You will root for these characters, bad and good alike. You will come to understand their love, desperation, tenacity and courage. The plot has a lot of great twists and resolves itself well over the course of all the episodes. The only unnecessary episode being the filler, which really (IMO) does not add to or subtract from the story so I simply skipped it.

The soundtrack worked well for each episode. You will probably find yourself singing "Fight the Power" for no apparent reason while you are doing something mundane like; making a sandwich, or sitting on the toilet.

I especially appreciated how the animators matched the overall feeling of each setting within the storyline so well. Each location was distinct, and this helped to tie together everything nicely. If you are a fan of mecha you will also be in for a real treat as Gurren Lagann only progresses to look more and more awesome as each episode passes. . . except for the hard-on battleship mode which is pretty laughable. The only real beef I had was with the animation of the anti-spiral "king." It felt as if they had run out of ideas. . . however, his mecha form was fantastic. I had the privilege of watching this show in HD and the animation looked great. The colors were saturated and the lines were nice and sharp. If you have access, I recommend watching it this way. . . you will not be disappointed.

This may offend some dub fans (sooooorrrrryyyy) but, the dub sounded like crap. A lot of the voice actors were already going a bit over the top in Japanese to begin with to match up with the characters they were playing, so, taking that into consideration the English voice actors should have just matched them and not tried to out do them. Listening to it in English almost made me give up on watching this show, which would have been a real shame. Do yourself a favor a just read the subs!

Overall I give this nearly perfect show a 9.5 out of ten.

Epic Sunglasses