PhdInCartoons

Monster Rancher

1 MAY
2013

The story plays out very similarly to another game tie in, There isn't a lot tying each episode together. They are just monster of the week episodes. Another thing that is going against this anime is the abundabce of cheese, there is lots. Goodies and baddies being called goodies and baddies and the chief antagonist who feeds on hate may, rightly, have some people not being able to finish it. If you do you will see one of the most inexplicable second seasons I have ever seen. It is blatantly trying to squeeze more money out of the already wrung out franchise. Also the pacing is all over the place.

Considering how successful the game franchise is, you would expect there to be some money behind the production. There doesn't seem to be any. The animation is very low quality. It is inconsistent and the fighting abilities of each of the monsters are reused over and over again.

The sound is also really bad. Admittedly the opening sequence is rather catchy but everything else is terrible. The rest of the music is either trying too hard to be cool which is almost embarrasing. The voices are ok, they fit the characters well but due to how bad the characters are they still feel pretty bad. The voices don't fit that well in the dub, they are off somehow timing wise. Also in between the first and second season they changed the actor voicing the main character. He just goes from annoying to annoying, there is no improvement.

The main characters are pretty bad. They are very predictable at the start and then you have to watch them be predictable for 73 episodes. Pretty much every character cliche there is is represented. SOme of the characters that they meet on their journey are a little interesting, but you see them for such a short time it doesn't matter.

Overall

Normally I don't mind bad anime if there is some redeeming factor to keep you interested. In this there isn't any. The only reason I watched it was because I watched as a kid and didn't see the end of it. This compelled the need in me to finish things to keep going. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, even those who want to find out how it ends, there are episode summaries for that.

Other Anime Reviews by PhdInCartoons